Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help with TA adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 01:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help with TA adjustment

Ok, the stock TA is out and I amattempting to put in a random tech TA. I bought it used and the guy had it set for his car at -3*.. I know every car is different and plan on setting it for mine. But at this moment I can't even get it in as the adjustment nuts are seriously tight. I don't want to start pounding on it to try and get this loose so I'm hoping someone can tell me how to loosen the adjustment nuts up some..

http://www.geocities.com/sqwznss/TA.html

What nut needs to be turned what way? (Up and down in the picture)
Old 05-30-2003, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Help with TA adjustment

At the top of the picture, there is an adjuster (the long piece with wrench flats on it) with a jam nut on each side. One jam nut is in the front against the black tube of the torque arm, you will need to loosen that nut away from that tube (I'm not sure which way the adjuster is threaded in that torque arm). On the other end is a jam nut and a heim joint, that jam nut needs turned so that it is threaded toward the heim joint (away from the adjuster with the long wrench flats on it). Once you get those two jam nuts loosened, you should be able to turn the adjuster with a wrench to set pinion angle. After the pinion angle is set, I'd use a drop of locktite on the jam nuts and retighten the front one against the black tube and the rear one against the adjuster and you are finished.....hope this helps....good luck.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the rear one loose but my problem is I can't get the front jam nut loose. I can't get the TA in without loosening it because the angle on the rear mount with the 2 bolts. I need to know what way does the front jam nut turn. I don't want to keep tightening it if it is reverse threaded. Thanks
Old 05-30-2003, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It should thread the opposite way from the rear jam nut. I suspect that it is reverse threaded, one side should be standard thread and one side will be reverse threaded. If the back was standard, the front jam nut will be reversed. Good luck!