Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Questions about a proper suspension setup for my car

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Question Questions about a proper suspension setup for my car

My SS is almost stock suspension wise, the only mod being boxed UMI subframe connectors. The car isn't a quarter mile car. I don't drive it much but when I do, I like to take it through the curves. I want a nice handling setup that does not have a harsh ride quality. I cannot lower the car much because I have true dual exhaust and it scrapes on occasion with my stock ride height. I really like the quality of UMI components as several of my friends have had their parts on their cars and they all have fit well and functioned great. So, I was thinking about getting the following UMI components for my car. A set of SA lower control arms, panard bar that is adjustable when bolted on the car, and a strut tower brace. I am also considering a larger rear sway bar. Since my car has the larger 32 mm front sway bar, I should be okay with it, right? I have been reading a lot about shocks, and how they are valved to match certain spring rates. I am considering the bilstein HDs for the moment. Are these shocks valved to work well in conjuction with the stock springs? Is there a spring out there that is designed to work specifically these shocks? I've seen horrible reviews from the bilstein shock/spring kit so I want to stay away from it. I've seen the SLP springs, and that they only offer a 3/4" drop, but I want the shock's valving to match the spring rate for optimal performance and life. Would these springs be a good choice for me? Sam, if you have any recommendations, I would really appreciate your advice.

Last edited by 67SS&99SS; 09-08-2007 at 09:35 PM.