Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Raised Spindle for Lowering Body

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raised Spindle for Lowering Body

Does anyone know if any company out on the market sell a raised spindle??

Or has anyone modified their own???

I have seen so many people lowering their cars w/ smaller coil springs, but have not seen anyone w/ a raised spindle and some stiffer springs.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

never heard of any or anyone doin it!
Old 09-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

Well that is the CORRECT way to lower a vehicle w/out effecting the performance of the suspension system. As do shorter coil springs.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey Crizzle
Does anyone know if any company out on the market sell a raised spindle??

Or has anyone modified their own???

I have seen so many people lowering their cars w/ smaller coil springs, but have not seen anyone w/ a raised spindle and some stiffer springs.
Almost all the lowering springs are "stiffer" (higher rates).
Old 09-11-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know what you mean, but you'll confuse less people if you call it a drop spindle

someone asked the same question about it a week ago

and the deal is that some people want an half-inch drop, some people want an inch and a half drop and its just not going to be cost effective for someone to set up an expensive casting operation especially when they have to take a gamble on how much to drop it

And its really not a good investment considering the plethora of lowering springs already available- and then theres the fact that with a drop spindle, you'll still need new springs- albeit ones with stock height but stiffer rates- and there aren't too many of those available, or i'd be all over them. And you'll STILL have to get lowering springs for the rear.

and then if that weren't enough, there's the fact that a drop spindle isn't ALWAYS the "CORRECT" way to lower a car. It is on some cars- street rods and older muscle cars that have significantly different suspensions and with these you're talking about 2" drop and more. And I suspenct on many imports as well since they have all these camber kits out there and so on.

But for these cars since you're only dropping an inch and a half at the most- the geometry isn't adversely affected- in fact in most cases its improved.

Long story short, just go out and get a good set of lowering springs- Strano makes a nice set- the perfect amount of drop and ideal spring rates. With these springs, quality shocks, big swaybars, good tires and a stiff PHB you'll be well on your way to outhandling most anything you'd ever dream of driving (excluding F1 cars)
Old 09-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Default 2" drop spindle

Pa Racing now offers a Stock & 2" drop fabricated spindle for the 93-02 Camaro/firebirds. Weight for each is 6.5lbs. Google search them.

Last edited by Nine Ball; 10-22-2007 at 09:34 AM. Reason: non-sponsor contact info removed
Old 09-12-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn! 6.5lbs each! That's light as hell compared to the stockers.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

Thankz a lot nyytrousboy. Very pricey but prolly worth the xtra buck.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:52 PM
9 Second Club

Great infor.! 6.5lbs. ea.!!
Old 09-12-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

somone needs to try these. wheres JasonWW... he wanted these a while back
Old 09-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

I would love to try these once I get the Xtra buck to throw at them.
But it wouldnt be untill I have the money for a complete suspension system.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

So let me get this straight-

You want drop spindles to lower your car (the "correct way" which it really isnt)- I assume in order so that you'll have better handling through a lower center of gravity and obligatory (but very difficult to find) stiffer stock height springs

And yet you want to try a spindle that PA even says is "DESIGNED FOR DRAG RACE APPLICATIONS"

I wouldn't trust a drag race intended spindle any more than i would trust a drag race intended k-member- if all its designed to do is be extra light and just strong enough to hold things together down a straight track, i wouldn't trust it on a car that I drive on the street.

I just cant understand why someone would want to strengthen the rest of their suspension for better handling and then weaken the part of it that holds the wheel on. In the case of the front arms, you can often strengthen as well as lighten with tubular components, but thats replacing stamped parts. The spindle is a heavy casting for a reason.

Maybe someone will be crazy enough to try road racing one of these spindles and it will last- which I admit would be great because I wouldnt mind having one of them (albeit a stock-height one) for the reduction in unsprung weight, but thats only if they're ever proven under rigorous driving.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

.....+1....
Old 09-13-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mikey Crizzle
Well that is the CORRECT way to lower a vehicle w/out effecting the performance of the suspension system. As do shorter coil springs.
Damn, and all this time I've been doing it the wrong way
Old 09-14-2007, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Damn, and all this time I've been doing it the wrong way
not really, just a different way
Old 09-21-2007, 06:42 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by nyytrousboy
Pa Racing now offers a Stock & 2" drop fabricated spindle for the 93-02 Camaro/firebirds. Weight for each is 6.5lbs.
Has anyone tried these yet?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$550 is actually not bad of a price. Their picture isn't showing up so I can't tell how beefy it looks.

Guy's, the best thing about doing a spindle drop is that you can keep the stock springs and shocks if you want, add the spindles, get a super nice drop and still have 4" of compression travel just like stock. The stock DeCarbon shocks are still not as smooth riding as Bilsteins, but some people don't mind them.

You also don't have to have stiffer springs with these. Now if you want better handling you can go 400lb-450lb springs with some better shocks and have a super nice ride while being low and much improved handling. You could get even better handling with stiffer springs and shocks.

I have GC with 550lb and Koni SA, but only 2" of travel which works well and rides pretty good, but I could add the spindles and raise my coils to compensate. Then I would be at the same ride height I'm at now. You may ask what's the point of that? I'll tell you. I'll have double the wheel travel for those bumpy roads which means a smoother ride.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Guy's, the best thing about doing a spindle drop is that you can keep the stock springs and shocks if you want, add the spindles, get a super nice drop and still have 4" of compression travel just like stock..
except now you have to worry about the tire smacking into the top of the wheel well. i guess you could add 2 inches to the bumpstop. but that would kinda defeat the purpose
Old 10-18-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OldeSkool
except now you have to worry about the tire smacking into the top of the wheel well. i guess you could add 2 inches to the bumpstop. but that would kinda defeat the purpose
Hmmmm, you have a point there.

It would also depend on the tire diameter. The stock bumpstops rob you of about 3/4 of useful travel in comparison to a Koni or Bilstein shock. If you went with a slightly smaller diameter front tire you could get some more travel.

I say, let it hit the top of the wheel well just to make sure your getting full travel and then add some packers under the bumpstop to limit the travel so that the biggest dip would only allow a slight rubbing of the tire to the fender well. That way you know your maxing things out without hurting anything.

Or, you could swap in a longer, softer bumpstop to allow for max travel without having the hard hit of the stock bumpstop. This would allow for more travel and a smoother ride, but might not allow you a full 4" of travel like stock. This is really the best option if keeping the stock shocks and springs. Packers can still be used to limit travel if need be.

The real limitation to getting the car super low is going to be the tire diameter and it rubbing the top of the fender well. The ONLY fix I see for that is a smaller diameter tire. A 1" shorter tire will lower the car 1/2" AND give you 1/2" more suspension travel.

Now if your crazy like me, you'll consider cutting the fender wells out and adding a tubular front end to tuck the tires up higher.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i guess its all a matter of personal priorities.

I don't really care about dragging frame on the ground, in fact i'd like to have a good 5 inches of ground clearance. but at the same time i hate to see a big fender gap... guess i got the wrong car.

anyway, my main priority is good handling and this is easily attainable with the right springs shocks swaybars wheels and tires.

second to that is a good ride and while these two would at first seem mutually exclusive, a good ride and good handling can be had with that setup. despite the inch reduction in travel and the near doubling of spring rates

but i'm glad that people are still coming up with new things for cars that are 5 years old or older.

and it is frustrating that the pictures dont show up of those spindles

Quick Reply: Raised Spindle for Lowering Body