Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Springs/Shocks and a lot of reading

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springs/Shocks and a lot of reading

Holy smokes, I've been reading and looking at this forum for most of the day. I'm still on the fence, I was originally going to get the Eibach Pro-kit with Tokico 5 ways in the rear and Tokico blue's (non adjustable) in the front.

My car is a '00 SS with KYB's up front and stock shocks out back, along with stock SS springs (Kooks LT's, catted Y and Magna catback). The ride is nice, but a week or so back I hit a pot hole and heard a loud clunk in the front passenger side. I got to work and look around, but couldn't see anything. I put it on jack stands to check for bearing issues and couldn't find anything. Well I had the car on a rack while the clutch was being done and notice that the KYB shock was full compressed and was seized up. It appears to have seized and ripped through the mounting point (still had the nut on top). So I'm in need of changing things up.

Back in the day I had a sport compact with quite a bit of work done to it, I ran the Eibach Pro-kit and Tokico's for years on the street with a decent amount of power (300 whp low boost and 460 whp high boost), never really had an issue, handled well and did the job. I never touched KYB's since they really weren't that great of a product back in '00, I know Koni's are nice and so are Bil's, but I'm not sure I need that much suspension.

Right now the car is more straight line, but I do enjoy taking turns while on the freeway, I don't auto X and don't plan to. I live in AZ where the roads are okay, not NY city style. I don't want to be slammed, I just want a good ride, okay cornering and acceptable launching setup for drag.

So I guess I need some pointers on what you'd suggest to do/buy.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

How about some Bilstein HD's since you're going to stay on stock springs? I liked how that set-up felt when I had it.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with Krab, I had the Bilstein Hd`s with the Strano sway bars and my car drove and handled great. My car is a street car only so Im not sure about the setup on the track. I did change up to the Koni`s and the difference was night and day. With the Koni`s I have less brake dive in the front, and the feel of the car improved alot. I hope this helps some.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, I do plan on going with springs but now I'm not sure about the Pro-kit now since reading about others issues.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

i did not think it was possible for the shock shaft to rip thru the mount with the top dog bone shaped piece that sits abount the shock mount, just below the shaft bolt.

are you missing that stock piece?
Old 09-19-2007, 03:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

If you have been doing lots of reading I am sure you have read about Sam Strano. I'd recommend his springs and a set of revalved bilstiens or Koni's.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I've read about them. I went to his site to pricing things out and then decided to post to see if there's some opinions that I may have missed. I like the Eibach and Tokico for one reason, I can get into that setup for around $500 (new).

Quick Reply: Springs/Shocks and a lot of reading