Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

help with torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 06:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with torque arm

so i broke my torque arm mount wich i guess is an easy thing to wear out but in another thread someone suggested to just buy a torque arm so i started looking into them and i think i found this one UMI from ws6 store ( http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...b4252a56a5e10d ) wich come with a mount from what i understand

i was quoted 340$ to get it fixed at a local shop with the labor but i was thinking since it was a direct bolt on application me and a buddy could do it , what are you thought? has any one ever replaced theres themselves on a couple jack stands?
-Thanks Adam
Old 09-23-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

the clamshell bracket (comes in two separate part numbers) goes for about 50 bucks total from a parts place. Its easy to replace yourself. and stock is by FAR the most comfortable option for the torque arm.

And since you're basically stock that is probably what I would do for now. Cheapest, most comfortable.

But since you did break the thing, you might want to go ahead and upgrade now. That particular torque arm, while a great torque arm, will not by itself solve your problem. It is basically a direct replacement torque arm that fits into the bracket that you broke. So you would still need a new bracket assembly. The poly bushing they're talking about is installed by removing the rubber from the bracket and replacing it with poly.

also... that torque arm is set at a -2* pinion angle which i don't feel is appropriate for a mostly street driven car. it causes noise for many people and increased pinion wear. and isn't necessary for most people's power levels. UMI offers a similar adjustable one look around at www.umiperformance.com

Now. if you were to combine that torque arm (or preferrably an adjustable one set to 0* pinion angle) with a torque arm relocation crossmember, you would have a reasonably comfortable, and very strong setup that wouldn't risk breaking the stock clamshell bracket again or worse.. the transmission tailshaft housing (which i've heard of being common, but never seen).

Another option would be shorter torque arms that put a little more force down on the rear axle under launch. Again, UMI makes a few variations, as do others.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Launching!

so even if i do get the adjustable torque arm, i will still need to get the bracket asmebly? im pretty sure i still need the rubber part as well becuse i think that half of the rubber broke off, but i was thinking about going ahead and getting the adjustable torque arm, and the bracket assembly? and then in a couple weeks when i have a little more money buy the torque arm relocation and just take it easy on the car untill i get the relocation bracket?
Old 09-24-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sounds like a plan. Although... if you know that you are going to get the relocation crossmember eventually... why spend the money and time on the replacement bracket assembly?

ie.. spend 50 now and 150 later
or spend 150 now and not bother with replacing the broken one