Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni/GC PLUS Air Cylinder Idea

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 01:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I have been thinking about this design. Most importantly, I've realized that has the air cylinder lifts the car, this spring rate goes down due to the spring expanding. So you don't really get the full spring rate PLUS the additional rate from the air cylinder. They actually sort of even out a little bit. Since the air cylinder's rate is progressive and the springs is linear, the car will probably ride smoother when you increase the ride height.

It's a little bit of a moot point right now as I've just purchased a pair of the Universal Aero Sport bags. Once I get them and get a chance to install them I'll be updating some of my air ride threads. At this point I feel like softening the ride a little bit anyway. I'll be running half inch lines and probably mount the valves in the rear. If I wanna make the spring rate a little more progressive I'll move the valves closer to the bags. That way the air stored in the lines will not be used by the bags.

I'll be slipping these over my Koni SA shocks. I'm going to try and use the stock lower spring mount and I'll probably sell my Ground Control coil over setup.

Check this thread as well:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/803631-air-ride-using-your-front-shocks-350-a.html

Last edited by JasonWW; 07-02-2008 at 02:11 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this air cylinder idea would be better suited to the weekend racers out there. You could set the car at a stock like ride height with softer 400 lb. or so springs for a nice dialy ride and then add air pressure to the cylinder so it pulls the LCA up. This will do at least 3 things.

1. Lower ride height and center of gravity.
2. Preloads the spring so that the spring rate goes up.
3. Adds negative camber.

The only down side I see is the toe will change a little. I'm not sure if it toes in or out or how much it changes.

I doubt anyone would do this. It's just fun coming up with these ideas.
Attached Thumbnails Koni/GC PLUS Air Cylinder Idea-airidea-2.jpg  

Last edited by JasonWW; 07-11-2008 at 02:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Koni/GC PLUS Air Cylinder Idea