Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Handling of different Speed Rating...ZR vs. YR ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 11:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Handling of different Speed Rating...ZR vs. YR ?

I'm looking into what tires I will put on my car next.

Michelin makes a set of 315/30-18s that look pretty good (anyone know anything about these) and they also make a set of 275/40-17s.

The problem is, the 315s are ZR rated and the 275s are YR rated. In order to get a ZR rated tire, I would have to stay with the 265/40-17 size I have now.

My problem is, I'm having a hard time matching the speed rating, size, AND company all together (can get one or two, but not all).

Does it matter if you mix speed ratings? What about different companies (ex: Michelin in rear and say Yokohama in the front)?

Thanks guys,

Chris
Old 06-11-2003, 07:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Handling of different Speed Rating...ZR vs. YR ?

I'd rather mix speed ratings on the same tire instead of tire brands. I'd much prefer a zr and yr rated tire (of the same brand and model) over using tires from different manufacturers. The handling characteristics will be much more similar between tires of different speed ratings (but the same tire). With different tires, you could get any combination of characteristics. There are likely combinations that will work well, but that may be time consuming and expensive to find. Just my thoughts.

Quick Reply: Handling of different Speed Rating...ZR vs. YR ?