Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Air Ride Using YOUR Front Shocks for $350

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 06:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by firebird96
Looks good. I had to "massage" the inner fenders a bit, too; but at the time I had some larger bags on.
I've seen the Shockwaves on these cars and it looked like it might have rubbed here as well. Ya'lls bags spec out at 6.5" diameter and the Aero Sport at 5.9", but my bags actually measure 6.25" across (deflated).
Old 09-09-2008, 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

I hate these front suspensions. I want to cut out the whole shock tower and swap to a shorter spindle and mount an upper a-arm lower down like the C5 and C6. Like so:
Name:  SLA4.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  10.5 KB

or install a C5 front clip:
Name:  chevroletcorvettec6insides2smaller.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  32.6 KB

and have the top of the wheels open, similar to this:
Name:  0701mt_08_z1996_chevrolet_blazereng.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  51.0 KB
Old 09-09-2008, 07:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hey Amber, why can some shocks be mounted upside down and other can't?
Does it have to do with the gas pressure injected into the shocks to reduce foaming?
Old 09-10-2008, 06:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, I never had any rub marks with the regular shockwaves.

Interestingly enough, I've recently heard we have a customer fabbing the whole Corvette setup under a 4th gen F-body; if I ever get any more details on that, I'll let you know how it turns out.

The upside-down mounting issues are indeed because of the gas, and mostly with low- or no-pressure twin-tube models. These have gas mainly to take up the displacement of the shaft (since oil doesn't compress), which does induce just a little pressure for the foaming aspect. The main reasoning behind that rule is that some of those shocks just have the gas in the outer reserve chamber with no separation from the oil; so if you turn it upside down, the gas gets into the valving and causes a dead spot in the travel, or mixes freely with the oil and emulsifies, losing damping ability. I can't specifically say any name brands that still use that method; most of them that I know of either use closed-cell foam or have the gas contained in a flexible plastic bag.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Jason you know you can hold the Shift key while making lines in ms paint so they're straight right?[offtopic]
Old 09-10-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Alt
Jason you know you can hold the Shift key while making lines in ms paint so they're straight right?[offtopic]
I'm a long time Photoshop user. It has a line tool.

What's your point, my drawings look like a 3rd graders?
Old 09-11-2008, 05:22 AM
Alt
TECH Resident

Oh I know you can photoshop, but your mspaint skills could improve. lol
Old 09-11-2008, 05:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

I didn't use ms paint! I drew it freehand in PS.
What I really need is a program that can make the arms actually pivot so I can see the camber change as I move the spindle up and down.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

How about this:

Last edited by JasonWW; 09-11-2008 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

i put air ride in my rear shocks, It def is worth it. it rides like a whole new car. and doesnt squat as much so it feels alot faster. def recommend it on the rear. expecially if you guys have subwoofers and all in the back. idk about the front ? why . lol
Old 09-11-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tylergarceau
i put air ride in my rear shocks, It def is worth it. it rides like a whole new car. and doesnt squat as much so it feels alot faster. def recommend it on the rear. expecially if you guys have subwoofers and all in the back. idk about the front ? why . lol
Do you mean the bags that fit inside the spring? I added some of those to my old Caprice and it made the rear feel firmer as far as handling yet the ride was smoother. I thought that was pretty badass.

There really is a science to air springs. If you know how to manipulate the volume and such, you can have a car that handles great and still ride smooth. Plus you can raise it for driveways and such. For those weight concience, I just got my rear bags and they weight around 1/4lb or so? Super light compared to the stock coil springs. Do that for all 4 corners and you might loose aroung 20lbs or so.

Just an update, I did a $0 cost mod to my front end that gained me 1 1/4" of extra wheel travel on the compression side. It looks sick. The upper a-arm has about 1/4" clearance and the wheel has about 3/8" clearance from the shock tower. Lower balljoint looks fine, but the upper may be at it's limit. This was with the weight of the car on the shock and bumpstop, no spring.

Everyone can do this mod and make their lowered car ride smoother and maintain better grip in the corners. It's sweet.

Last edited by JasonWW; 09-12-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Do you mean the bags that fit inside the spring? I added some of those to my old Caprice and it made the rear feel firmer as far as handling yet the ride was smoother. I thought that was pretty badass.

There really is a science to air springs. If you know how to manipulate the volume and such, you can have a car that handles great and still ride smooth. Plus you can raise it for driveways and such. For those weight concience, I just got my rear bags and they weight around 1/4lb or so? Super light compared to the stock coil springs. Do that for all 4 corners and you might loose aroung 20lbs or so.

Just an update, I did a $0 cost mod to my front end that gained me roughly about 1.5" of extra wheel travel on the compression side. It looks sick. The upper a-arm has about 1/4" clearance and the wheel has about 3/8" clearance from the shock tower. Lower balljoint looks fine, but the upper may be at it's limit. This was with the weight of the car on the shock and bumpstop, no spring.

Everyone can do this mod and make their lowered car ride smoother and maintain better grip in the corners. It's sweet.
yes im sorry thats what i ment, hahaha yes i know what ur saying man.. i felt so bad *** and i just did it last night. i couldnt stop driving .. hahaha!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You can get some nice high/low beam BMW Projectors for under $150pr. (HID would cost extra)
You can get FX projectors for around $150-200 for the pair (sometimes under $150). They are bi-xenon HID (meaning hi/low in one projector with a movable shield). They have great output and are easy to work with.

If you want a low-beam-only projector, take a look at TSX. I think they run around those prices too. They have better low-beam output too.... but no high beam.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just an update, I did a $0 cost mod to my front end that gained me 1 1/4" of extra wheel travel on the compression side. It looks sick. The upper a-arm has about 1/4" clearance and the wheel has about 3/8" clearance from the shock tower. Lower balljoint looks fine, but the upper may be at it's limit. This was with the weight of the car on the shock and bumpstop, no spring.

I'm going to do a full write up of this mod with lots of pictures. Look for the thread shortly.

Here's a teaser pic for you. Tucking 285's.

Name:  Tucking285sIMG_9145.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  68.2 KB
Old 09-18-2008, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

I'm going to do a full write up of this mod with lots of pictures. Look for the thread shortly.
*waits patiently*
Old 09-18-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

*waits patiently*
A little gust of wind named Ike blew through. I still have no power at my house.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:31 AM
On The Tree

I never thought about that. That sucks! I never noticed your location until now. Everything else make it though ok?

Living next door to an electric substation cuts down on the senic view, but it means never having an outage in Indiana, anyway
Old 09-22-2008, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

*waits patiently*
This mod is like a poor mans shock shortening because it does the same thing. Based on photos, the shock/bag assembly your company makes is a little shorter than the stock shocks and allows the tires to tuck up a bit more.

Once I get some power at home I'll do a separate thread just for this mod.
9 days so far in the dark.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I got power after day 15. It took a while before things got back to normal.

Anyhoo, here's that thread I was promising.
Modifying Your Front Upper Shock Mount

Oh yeah, I picked up some Bosche E46 Bi-xenon projectors for $100. They are noticably larger than the low beam units.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Keep in my file this thread....I ll read all 11 pages next time...

Quick Reply: Air Ride Using YOUR Front Shocks for $350