Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cut stock springs for a 2" drop on C6 19's.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 12:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or you could just toss some air springs on the front of that b!tch and call it a day. Costs roughly $450, but you get a nice ride and whatever ride height you want.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually i'm a private installer so i'm always getting free stock parts left at my house.
thats a good idea about cutting the spring and adding spacers. Did that on the rear but didn't think about doing it on the front.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
I always thought "blown shocks" were when theye were all old and bouncy. Mine still ride good.
Does your car bounce at all? Is it any more floaty?
These car stock already are pretty floaty at higher speeds, lowering on stock
shocks will make it worse.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Does your car bounce at all? Is it any more floaty?
These car stock already are pretty floaty at higher speeds, lowering on stock
shocks will make it worse.
It has normal bounce like a stock car. but not all floaty like what blown shocks feel like. I've been in lots of cars with blown shocks on the highway and they feel like you are going over a series of waves on a boat.
From what everyone says on here i'm assuming stock shocks suck ***. But to me as long as they weren't blown they were always ok. I mean they do get floaty when you get close to 130-140 or so, but i don't get the car that fast hardly ever anymore.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

It's hard to "blow up" shocks. A lack of control is a worn-out damper, or at least one that's just not up to the task. "Normal bounce" like a stock car is too much. I don't know about you, but I see these as performance cars and if I wanted a lack of control I'd rent a Cobalt from Avis.

You are comparing to car that have had completely junk shocks, where as yours are simply very poor in the control and ride impact harshness department.

Let me put it to you this way: An LS1 car stock isn't slow, but it wasn't enough which is why your car now runs 11.04@121.69. Speed is easy to quantify, control and confidence in a car is not so easy to quantify. Feeling is believing, and I promise you that what you have now will only seem ok until you see what's on the other side of the fence.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-28-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, when I had all stock suspension and just swapped to Koni shocks in the rear, the ride in back got buttery smooth yet the rear didn't sway as much and there was no more floaty feeling from the rear. It was more stable. It's amazing how good shocks can firm things up AND make it ride smoother. That was a big eye opener as to how bad the factory shocks were.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MJK
Wow...

You sure caught alot of hell for doing something to YOUR car that YOU enjoy and pay the bill on.

Personally I think it went 2 low...But thats just MY taste.

Don't worry about the critics man,most of them are just those internet warriors who would NEVER be that bold in person.

Glad you like the results and clean car man!

I agree with your last comment, some guy on another local board put done a buddy of mine, but one day a big meet was held and the two met, the guy was so nice in person and even complimented my buddy's ride full well knowing he bashed it online. People have alternate personalities on the NET...don't believe everything you hear, matter of fact take everything with a grain of salt.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:57 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
It's hard to "blow up" shocks. A lack of control is a worn-out damper, or at least one that's just not up to the task. "Normal bounce" like a stock car is too much. I don't know about you, but I see these as performance cars and if I wanted a lack of control I'd rent a Cobalt from Avis.

You are comparing to car that have had completely junk shocks, where as yours are simply very poor in the control and ride impact harshness department.

Let me put it to you this way: An LS1 car stock isn't slow, but it wasn't enough which is why your car now runs 11.04@121.69. Speed is easy to quantify, control and confidence in a car is not so easy to quantify. Feeling is believing, and I promise you that what you have now will only seem ok until you see what's on the other side of the fence.
I have no doubt that better shocks would make my jaw drop in the handling and control depaertment. But right now i'm not lookin at spending any $$$ on my car. So i kinda wouldn't even want to feel what they ride like cause then i would probably go out and buy some.
Just like my car is very slow right now. (need to update my sig, sold the red 98 SS "cam only" car) this car has full bolt ons minus a TB. I would LOVE to throw a cheater cam and some heads on it but the car budget for this car is non existant right now. I got all the bolt ons for free and i sold a bunch of cats and parts that i had collecting dust for the wheels. I WILL definatly want to make this car handle bad *** later but not right now.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

it looks great, i love a good stance but intrax arent very expensive.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:27 AM
TECH Regular

word if you like it thats great if there is no threat to your life than go ahead i say....thats whay when i got my headers instead of paying 500 for a catback got myself 2 bullet mufflers, an x pipe and exhaust guy thru the pipes under the rear and away i went payed 200 bucks total with install of headers bullets and spark plugs......when i lower it if it rubs i will just rip it our and leave the exhaust before the axle.....
Old 03-19-2008, 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I promised an after cut springs and hose mod shot. I ended up cutting one spring in the front and just removing the isolators out back

You guys think i need relocation brackets?
Attached Thumbnails Cut stock springs for a 2" drop on C6 19's.-da-bird-049.jpg  
Old 03-19-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

looks pretty sharp.

As far as the relocation brackets, are you not getting the traction you used to?
Old 03-19-2008, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

^^its tough to say really, its always had pretty shitty traction on the street, its pretty hard to say if its gotten any worse. Haven't had a chance to take her to the track yet since the springs were cut, but i guess we'll see

The need for relocated brackets stems from the height of the back right? Does the height of the front play any part in that?
Old 03-19-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

well im on cut springs myself, but its a completely different situation then here. After doing it, i'm not really against it, but i would very much recommend a set of shocks. And if it wasn't for my specific set up, i would have bought aftermarket springs and matching shocks (Was pretty much set on the strano springs and koni's). I think that the cut springs aren't too big of a deal, but the shocks definitely need to be addressed, but again, like said earlier. Its about whether your happy about it, if you feel it was worth it then thats all that matters. But there is much potential left in your suspension. And there is NO WAY i would cut and re-weld a PHB, that to me is just being stingy cheap
Old 03-20-2008, 01:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by its turbo time
The need for relocated brackets stems from the height of the back right?
It stems from the angle of the LCA's to the ground. If the arms are higher on the axle side, acceleration will want to lift the axle which is not good for grip, but improves braking. Level with the ground is what most folks shoot for.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I cut the front and heater mod in the rear for now. Going to cut some of the rear after I complete turbo install as I will gain some ground clearance with the removal of my LT headers. I have bilesteins all around and did an auto x last week with no issues. Runs good on the street, no more harsh then the stock ride height. Works good for me.

Quick Reply: Cut stock springs for a 2" drop on C6 19's.