Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Nasty wheel hop!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nasty wheel hop!

The second i lose traction i get rediculous wheel hop. The only non adjustable element of my suspension is my panhard bar. anyone have any tips? Will adjusting my torque arm help any?
Old 11-05-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

springs, lower control arms, shocks, torque arm...
Old 11-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

I have all of the above....? should i just have the rearend aligned? then adjust from there, or is there somethin i can do in the garage?
Old 11-05-2007, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

List what suspension parts you have and we'll try to help out...I know in my case going to adjustable rear shocks helped me out a lot...

--Alan
Old 11-05-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my old formula had very bad wheel hop, fixed with new springs
Old 11-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

BMR lowering Springs, KYB adjustable shocks,adjustable lower control arms, adjustable torque arm, strut tower bar, and sub frame connectors.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

2 things jump out at me...one: Do you have lca relocation brackets to correct the lca angles thrown off by the lowering springs? and two: I have not heard good things about the KYB adjustable shocks...

I'm betting that if you don't have the relocation brackets thats the cause of your wheel hop...Lowering the car moves the front mounting point of the lcas lower than the rear mounts which unloads the suspension and will cause wheel hop...You want the front of the lcas to be higher than the rears...

--Alan
Old 11-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Well I baught the car with all this **** on it, and i wouldn't be able to recognize the brackets because i've never owned an f-body with a 12 bolt in it. i just crawled under it and noticed that theres a set of holes just above the bolt that the lca's are mounted with to the rearend. is that it, or would it be obvious?
Old 11-05-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Do Work Son!
BMR lowering Springs, KYB adjustable shocks,adjustable lower control arms, adjustable torque arm, strut tower bar, and sub frame connectors.
With the car lower, your lower control arms are angled downward from axle to chassis. This makes the car more prone to wheel hop. What a lot of people do to prevent this is put in lower control arm brackets. This causes the arms to be angled upward from axle to chassis and keeps the wheels planted better in a launch.

Having the lcas angled upward like has its cons though as well as its pros. If you are turning then the suspension geometry I've heard tends to slightly point the rear axle out making the car more tail happy. This is a problem for autox or road race drivers but wouldn't be an issue for drag racers. I use my car for autox/racing that involves turns so I am not doing lca brackets.

Also, the KYB shocks I've heard aren't up to par with lowering springs to control them properly. I don't have my own experience or evidence, but basically if your car wants to squat and your spring doesn't have enough control by the shocks, it will want to bounce back faster than it should, and multiple times. I would imagine that between a set of shocks that dampen the springs and a set that doesn't, that you would get more wheel hop with the set that doesn't control the spring as well.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Talk with Sam Strano ---->

I assume shocks, LCA and sway bars would end this.

By-the-way, wheel hop is murder on 10-bolt rears.