Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

best k- member

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
What didn't you understand? A K-member doesn't take vertical loads, only lateral ones.
when you refer to the lateral loads, are you referring to hard autocross/roadrace loads or are you referring to daily driving and just turning here and there being too hard for a single tube k member? ive read a few instances where the single tube bmr has cracked from too much street use. just for clearification
Old 11-09-2007, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hennytime
when you refer to the lateral loads, are you referring to hard autocross/roadrace loads or are you referring to daily driving and just turning here and there being too hard for a single tube k member?
ive read a few instances where the single tube bmr has cracked from too much street use.
just for clearification

BMR had problems with ones several years ago ( I had one) the tube would tear the front box material away where they welded to tube to the front box. The weld never "cracked" it would just fatigue the metal around the weld till it failed. The new ones don't have a front box but 2 upright tubes to better displace the lateral loads. From what I had seen on the forums the front tube bending was never an issue.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:37 PM
10 Second Club

Sam,

Since you sell UMI, do you offer the same pkg deal s they do directly on the k-member & lower a-arms? Let me know, I'm looking to buy.....

Mark
Old 11-10-2007, 09:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Sam,

Since you sell UMI, do you offer the same pkg deal s they do directly on the k-member & lower a-arms? Let me know, I'm looking to buy.....

Mark
Sure do, just hard to get all the parts and all the different options on the website.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-10-2007, 09:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Hennytime
when you refer to the lateral loads, are you referring to hard autocross/roadrace loads or are you referring to daily driving and just turning here and there being too hard for a single tube k member? ive read a few instances where the single tube bmr has cracked from too much street use. just for clearification
Well, a bone stock 4th gen can pull some .9g on a skidpad. Add bumps, potholes, stickier tires, and all the other things that can add grip and you still have a lot of lateral load. Hey, if you want to be frank, just look at how beefy the stock k-member is, and folks have broken those with time. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't stand under the front of a car being held up with one pipe the size of the cross-tubes being used..... ymmv. For the same kind of price, why not go with the part that has to offer superior strength? Again, not that the other guys can't weld of anything, simple a matter the size and amount of structure.

You all put SFC's on your cars because you think the car is too weak. And the floorpan is not subject to the pounding suspension parts are.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-11-2007, 08:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Sure do, just hard to get all the parts and all the different options on the website.
Thanks Sam. I sent Arlyn an email, I will call you guys Monday & place the order.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UMI, Spohn, BMR are all great company's! Spohn and BMR have been out for a while and was what everyone got for a long time. Then UMI came out with there great prices and are selling like crazy. So i love UMI
Old 11-24-2007, 09:19 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

For downpipe clearance the Burkhart unit wins. Just run a front plate and be done. That is the route I am taking.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ask madman to build you a bullet proof custom k-member if you really want the best.....Im sure he could do it