Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stock Ride Height Handling Package.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock Ride Height Handling Package.

In a summary, I plan on increasing the handling of my Camaro.

It is completely stock right now, and it sucks.

I plan on:

-UMI shock tower brace
-UMI Rod ended D. Adj. PHB
-UMi Rod/poly LCAs
-Koni 4/4 Shocks.
-Strano 35mm front sway (and matching rear as well probably)

All of these will be bought through Sam.

I want to keep a stock ride height; I have true duals, I will never lower it.

Question here is, are the stock springs decent for a aggressive street performance application? I want to keep the ride stock for sure, as all of the aftermarket springs I see are for lowering. This is my DD, but I dont mind a stiffer ride... I would have not bought a f body if I wanted an econo car, and the true duals with no cats and mufflers (glasspacks only) also suggests a less forgiving ride is ok with me.

Let me know if keeping the stock springs are a good idea with the future parts I will order!

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Apparently no?
Old 11-15-2007, 11:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

Stock springs are not nearly as bad as most seem to think. Your basic plan is very workable. Shocks, absolutely. Front bar, hell yes. I'd also do the rear bar at the same time instead of either the LCA's or PHB (and really I'd pass on the LCA's first, the PHB is a much better handling tool anyway). I'd back burner the STB for now as well. Or, you can do it all, or do it the way you were thinking.

In order from most important for handling to the least given the parameters, meaning no lowering springs, and realizing that none of the above parts are bad:

-Shocks
-Swaybars (as a set because you want to maintain good balance)
-PHB
-LCA's
-STB

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-15-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

prior to koni's... i thought the stock springs were horrendously stiff.

after the koni's... i find the stock springs terribly soft.

BMR makes a half inch front shock spacer which they claim can be safely double stacked for 1 inch.

you can cut a spacer out of some material to insert between the rear spring isolator and the body for whatever height you want.

you could take sam's springs and space them up to near stock height.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Stock springs are not nearly as bad as most seem to think. Your basic plan is very workable. Shocks, absolutely. Front bar, hell yes. I'd also do the rear bar at the same time instead of either the LCA's or PHB (and really I'd pass on the LCA's first, the PHB is a much better handling tool anyway). I'd back burner the STB for now as well. Or, you can do it all, or do it the way you were thinking.

In order from most important for handling to the least given the parameters, meaning no lowering springs, and realizing that none of the above parts are bad:

-Shocks
-Swaybars (as a set because you want to maintain good balance)
-PHB
-LCA's
-STB
Sounds good Sam. That was what I was thinking as well (in the order I'd purchase them, as I cannot do it all at once... and this way if - after install - you get weird noises you know what part it is haha.

Should I even get LCAs? This set up is for sure oriented towards handling rather than drag racing, but I still want to launch decently. Or will stock LCAs react the same as they do now after the Konis and Sways?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

Again, I'd wait and see. I don't have aftermarket LCA's on my own car (not legal in my class, but there is no need since I don't have wheelhop issues). You can always bolt them on later, they are easy to do. I recommend things step by step whenever possible. If you want tune a car you need to make as few changes as possible to assess the result, much like a good science experiment or any other type of testing. And that method also keeps you from overbuying...... You get what you need, and when the result is what you want, you stop.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!