Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Should I upgrade my calipers etc.?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Should I upgrade my calipers etc.?

my 02 SS is soon to be needing to rotors and pads. i dont know about brakes but ive heard stock ls1 brakes suck and then ive heard they are pretty good considering they are stock. if i stick with the stock calipers id put good high performance rotors and pads on but how good are the stock calipers all in all? would i be better to upgrade at least the front calipers or what ive heard alot of fbody people upgrading there braking systems and wondered if its really worth it.

if you think i should please list brake kits you guys have had good experience with.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its prob not worth the time and money to upgrade your calipers if your not going to be doing lots of cornering or autox; HOWEVER, rebuilding the calipers is usually a good idea, or you can pop for a set of remanufactured ones...six of one half dozen of the other.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Depends what you are doing with the car and how much you are willing to spend.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Stock brakes are great and can be setup to work very well for even competitive autox driving with the right pads, rotors, and fluid.

If you keep the caliper pins clean and lubed, put in new boots pad shims and rattle clips, make sure the caliper pistons work well, keep the fluid changed regularly, and have a good set of street pads and blank rotors then you should be in good shape. My guess is one of those things you probably need some maintenance on. Most likely the fluid or pins. Calipers can be rebuilt, but I would prefer the easier yet cheap way out and get remanufactured OEM replacements at autozone. If you want an even better pedal feel, then add some stainless lines in.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

The stock LS1 brakes are quite good and for a street car the stock calipers are about as good as you need. If you'd like a little more I'd recomend better pads like Hawk HPS for the front and rear. For more I'd add adaptor brackets and C5 rotors to the front. Beyond that it's gonna get quite expensive.

Re'
Old 11-15-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you just need to stick with the stockers, there not that "bad"