Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

E Brake adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 01:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E Brake adjustments

Just curious after running a search or two, and I know I have been posting alot in this section....
my e brake, I have to pull it out to the very last adjustment to get it to engage,
I checked the little pads in the drum and they seem okay, any one the preferred method of taking the slack out this thing? It all seems to be in the actual handle itself. Also my brake light stays on, anyone have that same problem? Thanks.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...y+brake&page=1

Last edited by sapper_daddy; 11-16-2007 at 01:42 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure on how to adjust the parking brake but the BRAKE light could be on due to low brake fluid.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

To adjust the E Brake on our cars I have only found one way. In the center of our rear discs is a drum housing. There is a little barrel shaped adjuster in the bottom of the drum that will allow you to open up the one piece shoe to shorten the travel required before the drum locks up. The adjuster has little teeth on it and I think you are supposed to be able to adjust it through a hole, but I never figured that out so I just took removed the caliper, then the disc and adjusted it till I was happy with each side. Put the discs back on , tested it before reinstalling the caliper and she was good to go. One warning though, while the caliper is off do not touch the brake pedal.

This was learned 25 years ago.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by _JB_
Not sure on how to adjust the parking brake but the BRAKE light could be on due to low brake fluid.
Originally Posted by RAMPANT
To adjust the E Brake on our cars I have only found one way. In the center of our rear discs is a drum housing. There is a little barrel shaped adjuster in the bottom of the drum that will allow you to open up the one piece shoe to shorten the travel required before the drum locks up. The adjuster has little teeth on it and I think you are supposed to be able to adjust it through a hole, but I never figured that out so I just took removed the caliper, then the disc and adjusted it till I was happy with each side. Put the discs back on , tested it before reinstalling the caliper and she was good to go. One warning though, while the caliper is off do not touch the brake pedal.

This was learned 25 years ago.
Haha, good stuff.....well I am going to attempt this today, I am ambitious!

As far as the BRAKE light goes, yeah see that is what happened, I bled the brakes down and then the light came on because I didn't refill it right away (oops) and the next time I went to go drive it, I filled it up and it still won't go off. Should I just pull the battery cables and let it reset? Other than that I'm not sure how to get it undone.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sapper_daddy
Haha, good stuff.....well I am going to attempt this today, I am ambitious!

As far as the BRAKE light goes, yeah see that is what happened, I bled the brakes down and then the light came on because I didn't refill it right away (oops) and the next time I went to go drive it, I filled it up and it still won't go off. Should I just pull the battery cables and let it reset? Other than that I'm not sure how to get it undone.
Hmmm, I wouldn't think you would have to unhook the battery but it could be worth a shot. I'm guessing there is a switch by the parking brake handle that maybe could be stuck? Happened on my 88 GT, fixed it with some WD-40.

Quick Reply: E Brake adjustments