Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear brakes grabbing, making clunking sounds in reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear brakes grabbing, making clunking sounds in reverse.

Hi all, I did a search for this and didn't find any answers so I figured I'd ask about it.

It's the car is my sig, stock brakes.

Anyways, when in reverse at low speeds my rear brakes start to grab on and off and make these clunking sounds. It's almost like the brakes are pulsating.

I had a buddy verify it by watching the brake calipers while I was in reverse. We took the wheels off and although my brake pads are close to needing replacement they weren't bad. The pistons weren't sticking either from what we could tell with the calipers off.

I was so bad sounding we even thought it could be the rearend making noise but I recently had 3.73s installed after that and the gears were fine and the noise is still there. I am not sure what to make of it since I am no brake expert but I have installed and changed brake pads and rotors plenty of times so I was hoping this was a possible easy fix if anyone knows what the issue may be.

Brake fluid level is good so no leaks or anything. It only does it in reverse and slow speeds. Once I am in drive it's fine. Other things I've checked just to be sure about the clunking sound is the tranny mount, driveshaft, and u-joints and everything looks good.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-20-2007, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to add that it's only when the brakes are hot after driving about 30+minutes, when still cool they don't do this at all.

Quick Reply: Rear brakes grabbing, making clunking sounds in reverse.