Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Whats the advantage to a tunnelbrace torque arm?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the advantage to a tunnelbrace torque arm?

What's the advantage to having a tunnel brace mounted torque arm vs. a tranny mounted one? Would it be good on a street car?
Old 11-29-2007, 05:53 PM
10 Second Club

It takes stress off the transmission tailshaft. Other than that I'm not sure if there is any advantage. I run a UMI Tunnel mount Adj. TA on my street car and I have no problems.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DTB_LS1
It takes stress off the transmission tailshaft. Other than that I'm not sure if there is any advantage. I run a UMI Tunnel mount Adj. TA on my street car and I have no problems.
do you get any vibrations? Any noise?
Old 11-29-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

It changes the Instant Center of the car during launch, shifting it towards the rear axle. Basically it puts more weight on the rear tires off the line for a better 60'.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

For a street car, I'd recommend a full length unit. You can leave it on transmission, or use a relocation bracket to move it off the transmission to the transmission crossmember, which is IMO much stronger than the tunnel brace mounts.

If you opt for a tunnel brace mount, I'd strongly recommend 3-point SFC's (if you don't have any or 2-points) to support the tunnel brace area. And be ready for some potential noise because you are now basically connecting the TA (which is connected to the rear axle) directly to a thin place on the floorpan.

I sell all the UMI TA's (and a few other brands too), they are all available to look at @ www.stranoparts.com (just pick your year and model car, then click on suspension).

Again, I'd recommend a full length TA over a tunnel brace mount one anytime. *IF* you want to move the mounting off the tranny, we can add the UMI Relocation kit, which is also on out website.

And if you have any questions, feel free to call me.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-01-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want more of a drag set-up, then go with the short torque arm/tunnel brace mount set-up. It gives better traction and works fine on the street. You have to really dial in your pinion angle to eliminate vibration. Also, I put 1/2 inch rubber spacers in my set-up to reduce noise. It works fine on the street--been running it for several years. If you road race, this is a poor set-up as it causes problems on hard breaking. Otherwise, what Sam said.

Quick Reply: Whats the advantage to a tunnelbrace torque arm?