Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

steering wander/drift

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wander/drift

My 98 z28 has a problem that I am not sure is common with all other f-bodies or is just a prob with mine. When driving down the road at highways speeds on a road that has "ruts" (where the asphalt has sunk due to that part of the road getting the most traffic), the car will steer itself back and forth from left to run in and out of the ruts. another related problem is whenever i hit bumps at slow speeds, it causes the steering wheel to jerk to onse side or the other. I bought my car used so I don't know if something was screwed up in the steering before I got it. What it seems is that the car is maybe supposed to be equiped with some sort of steering stabilizer, but isnt on or something, because the steering wander is just aweful. The steering is real tight, so it doesn't seem as if anything is worn in the front end. If anyone had some suggestions or advice, let me know.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: steering wander/drift

The wider and lower in profile your tires are, the more common this condition will be. It's pretty normal....
Old 06-25-2003, 10:58 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Yup, trackbird is right. I get the same thing.

--VIP1
Old 06-26-2003, 12:58 AM
Teching In

Everybody's got that. This is why double a-arm suspension was developed, but still doesn't completely solve the problem. When you hit a bump, the axle is pushed up on one side, causing the steering column to change length, which causes the wheels to turn. Its normal.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you are thinking of "Bump Steer". Where the tie rods do not exactly follow the arc of the suspension control arms which can cause a slight change in the steering angle of the wheel over bumps. This can cause the car to "dart" over bumps.

The steering column is attached to the steering rack, which is securely fastened to the chassis on one end and bolted to the firewall/dash area on a rather heavy bracket on the other end. The column is not able to change length during normal use. It is designed to collapse in the event of a severe impact (you vs. steering wheel at 50mph).

The double a-arm suspension is used because it has much better "camber gain" (or, at least less loss than most other suspensions) characteristics during body roll in corners. This tries to keep the tires contact patch flat on the ground, even during aggressive body roll events (during aggressive cornering).

I didn't want to sound like I was picking on you, I just wanted to try to clarify that for anyone who may have been confused.

Good luck!

Kevin
Old 06-26-2003, 09:48 PM

I get the same thing in my 99', of course my tire pressures are about 40psi, to. I never know when I'll have to play well above the ten mark.

Quick Reply: steering wander/drift