Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni/Strano set is installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Koni/Strano set is installed

just got my Koni/Strano set installed this weekend, and it's WAY better than the stockers. i have the before pics, but i haven't had a chance to get the after pics yet....i'll get them soon, tho.

i still need to adjust the fronts, though.....they're still at the setting they came set at from the factory (full firm, from what i've been able to gather). the ride is great when i'm on smooth pavement, but bumps in the front right now are pretty jarring. hopefully it won't be a problem once i get around to turning them down some.

the rears are 1 full turn from full soft and seem to be pretty good.....though i may turn them another 1/2 turn softer, since i have a 25mm rear sway bar instead of Sam's 22mm (Hotchkis front/rear set that i got in a GP before i knew about Sam's bars).

i've also got the measurements from before the install on the ride height, but i still need to measure them after the drop...i'll get that done at the same time i adjust the damping on the shocks and post them up here also.

the hardest part of the install was using the spring compressors to squeeze the springs so i could get the spring caps off.....on the new Strano front springs, i didn't even need the spring compressor to install them. and the rears were super easy. the hardest part about the rears was trying to get the damn bolt on the bottom of the shocks (where they mount to the rear axle) back through the bolt hole, since i have bolt-in LCA relocation brackets....the holes don't line up exactly perfectly, and it took a bit of TLC from a BFH to get them back through, after using my hydraulic jack on one side of the bottom of the brackets to get the holes to line up as good as possible. i will be getting the reloc. brackets welded in eventually, but not until i replace the 10-bolt with a 12-bolt.

all in all, i can definitely say that upgrading to the Koni's/Stranos is well worth the money and effort. there's no more of the sink-bounce-sink (or bounce-sink-bounce) motion like the stockers when you hit a dip (or a bump). now it just sinks and returns to ride height on dips, and bumps a very little and back to ride height on bumps. i haven't really pushed the car hard in the corners yet, since i haven't yet had a chance to get it aligned, and i still need to set my front shocks a little softer.

just watch out if you're somewhat tall, though....the first time i got back in the car after the install, i bumped the **** out of my head on the roof (i'm 6'2")......
Old 12-11-2007, 01:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

watch yo head! (6'3 here and i didnt hit )

get that **** adjusted and get an alignment, you'll love it

i just got mine all in last weekend and love it! still need to adjust the PHE though so i can take left hand turns
Old 12-11-2007, 01:44 AM
TECH Addict

yeah, i was working on it alone (and taking my time), and by the time i got done, i was completely exhausted....i tried to just kinda fall into my seat like i normally do, but it was that extra 1.2" lower, and my head didn't quite clear.....lol

but yeah, i'll probably get the fronts adjusted in the morning when i get off of work (if it's not raining), and i may get under there and re-adjust my PHR, too....i forgot that, too.....well, not so much forgot, as ran out of daylight. it was already dark and i was working by lantern when i was finishing up.....
Old 12-11-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

nice. ya, i ended up doing it alone over 2 days...i'm at an apartment complex with an underground parking garage, and i guess someone complained so i cant work on it anymore or i'll get fine. which sucks, bc i just need the phr done!
Old 12-11-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

man, i just got through adjusting the shocks again....4 sweeps off full soft in the front and 1/2 turn off soft in the rear. it's a LOT better now.

for some reason, the fronts arrived with one of them set to full soft and the other set to 3 - 4 sweeps off full firm....no wonder it felt so funky before i adjusted them....LOL

but wow, i took it out to some back roads that were nice & curvy & a bit bumpy and really got on it.....these shocks/springs handle amazing. i was taking turns that were posted for 35mph at around 65 - 70 with no problem, and the roads weren't even completely dry yet (they weren't soaked, just damp patches here & there from the dew). i can just imagine how it will be on a nice, dry day.

i still may go a sweep or two more firm in the front, and another 1/4 turn more firm in the rear, but i'll wait a bit and drive it like it is now for a bit.

if i ever get another f-body, these shocks/springs will be the first mod, without a doubt....well, maybe after getting rid of the annoying CAGS, anyway. they are definitely well worth the time & money.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

congrats on the new set up man!!
Old 12-11-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats on the new set up. Lets see those before and after pics.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
man, i just got through adjusting the shocks again....4 sweeps off full soft in the front and 1/2 turn off soft in the rear. it's a LOT better now.

for some reason, the fronts arrived with one of them set to full soft and the other set to 3 - 4 sweeps off full firm....no wonder it felt so funky before i adjusted them....LOL

but wow, i took it out to some back roads that were nice & curvy & a bit bumpy and really got on it.....these shocks/springs handle amazing. i was taking turns that were posted for 35mph at around 65 - 70 with no problem, and the roads weren't even completely dry yet (they weren't soaked, just damp patches here & there from the dew). i can just imagine how it will be on a nice, dry day.

i still may go a sweep or two more firm in the front, and another 1/4 turn more firm in the rear, but i'll wait a bit and drive it like it is now for a bit.

if i ever get another f-body, these shocks/springs will be the first mod, without a doubt....well, maybe after getting rid of the annoying CAGS, anyway. they are definitely well worth the time & money.

First, I'd like to thank you and everyone else who's posted reports.

Second, I'd like to point out that installation details are very, very important to getting the car working as it should. This is a perfect example. The shocks were not set the same from Koni which lead to some ride issues. I run my customers through not only the adjustment and recommended settings, but also some items about the install that often bite folks in the butt.

Thirdly. You've shown, without a doubt, what kind of changes in ride quality and handling you can get from playing with the Koni adjuster. This is always a question with folks. They aren't sure they'll notice a difference, or if it's worth it. I even have folks buy shocks and tell me they won't adjust them. Ok, if that's what you want to go... but why? When you have the ability, and there is a large difference to be had, it's only wise to experiment a bit with the knowledge of how the rebound works and will change the car. When you find what you like best, THEN you don't need to play around.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-11-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Junkie

To the poster, about installing the rears and aligning the bottom bolt onto the axle, I did the opposite. I attached the shocks to the axle first and then raised the axle back up into the body of the car, while making sure the shocks were lined up into the chassis. If you do it again in the future, I just wanted to toss this out there so you have another option
Old 12-11-2007, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Get the fronts adjusted and you'll see even more improvement on your ride!!! Great job.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z28bryan
To the poster, about installing the rears and aligning the bottom bolt onto the axle, I did the opposite. I attached the shocks to the axle first and then raised the axle back up into the body of the car, while making sure the shocks were lined up into the chassis. If you do it again in the future, I just wanted to toss this out there so you have another option
what i was referring to would have been equally difficult either way....it was the bolt-in LCA brackets that were causing the trouble. the holes on the brackets don't line up exactly perfect with the holes on the rear end. i had to use the jack on the side of the LCA bracket that had too much room to torque it over a little to line them up better, and even then, i had to hammer it in....the bolts on the shocks wouldn't just slide right in.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

congrats on your new set up. Im waiting to moove and get some down time and Im gonna most likely go with the strano springs and get the prokit off!! For the most part my TA handles pretty well but I know it could be better.

So whats the best way to adjust the fronts, is there a trick while there on the car?
Old 12-11-2007, 07:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Where are the pics?
Old 12-11-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99WS7
congrats on your new set up. Im waiting to moove and get some down time and Im gonna most likely go with the strano springs and get the prokit off!! For the most part my TA handles pretty well but I know it could be better.

So whats the best way to adjust the fronts, is there a trick while there on the car?
the fronts are easy, as long as you remember to keep the adjustment "window" facing the outside of the car.....just take the front wheel off and use a 2.5mm allen wrench to turn the adjustment wheel.

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Where are the pics?
they're coming.....i was too busy getting them adjusted and testing them out this morning after i got off work to take the photos....plus, i want to wash the car again first before i take more pics. i'll probably do all that in the morning when i get off work, then post them up. that is, assuming it's not raining tomorrow.....
Old 12-11-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

where did you get this package from? Very interested in doing this in the very near future
Old 12-11-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Smokin00WS6
where did you get this package from? Very interested in doing this in the very near future
from Sam Strano, he's a site sponsor ---------->
Old 12-12-2007, 06:08 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Konis are the way to go. I have them even on my wifes Honda Accord.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

definitely need to see some pics...once i get some money together i will be buying this setup too!!! these sportlines and bilsteins just ain't cuttin it!!!
Old 12-12-2007, 11:02 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
from Sam Strano, he's a site sponsor ---------->
That'd be me.....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-12-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

ok, well....i didn't get a chance to clean the car up any because the weather was crappy this morning, but i was able to go out and snap some "after" pics.

i also made some measurements after, and got the following:

Before:
front pass - 27"
rear pass - 27"
front driv - 27.5"
rear driv - 27.5"

After:
front pass - 26.25"
rear pass - 26"
front driv - 26.375"
rear driv - 26.5"

and here's the pics before & after, side by side.....and they should settle a little bit after a while, also, so it will be slightly lower. before is on the left, after is on the right:

Quick Reply: Koni/Strano set is installed