Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How To Air Bag Your 4th Gen for $600

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by caliswangin916
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...ion/index.html

for a camaro setup, it would take pretty much everything in this kit. price was around 2-3k i think a couple of years ago. depends where someone could cut corners such as buying parts from a forum. minitruckers always have stuff for sale. i would definitely go this route and change out the components for any better parts available now that wasn't around when this kit was assembled.

airride will have to have a a good size tank which will take up space unless there is a superfast compressor i don't know of. chances are you'd need two compressors, this will take up space as well.

here's a price list. http://www.ridetech.com/wizard/resul...t&model=Camaro
All the stuff from them is over priced. Their cheapest setup is just under $3000. Where as they want $900 for the front bags, you can actually do the fronts for about $400. They make huge profit off the plates in the rear, like $210 or so. No way those plates should cost that much. It's best to pick and choose your components wisely. You really don't need any fancy digital controller, either. People don't use them on hydraulic setups. You can use just switches and guages. If your into the digital controllers you can add one later, just like you can with a hydrailic setup, so as far as I'm concerned, they cancel one another out.

You can build a cost effective and better performing system than the Air Ride for way less money. This is from my $350 front bag thread.

So for a Super Low Buck setup that you can adjust from inside the car:

2 Aero Sport Bags with mount kit $400
2 Rear bags $120-$140
8 3/8" electric valves are $220
2 dual needle guages $50-$60
1 3 gallon chrome tank $50
1 Viair 380 compressor 200psi $184
1 pressure switch $20
75ft of 3/8 air line $28

This adds up to $1,102 bucks. That just leaves the cost of the fittings. What do 3/8" fittings typically cost?
Keep in mind this is a conservative setup. If you want all 1/2" valves and lines the price will go up some. If you want dual air pumps, it will go up. Just like with anything. Even a really nice setup will probably be about half the cost of the Air Ride kit. Doing it yourself with a small amount of welding that can be done at a local muffler shop can really slash the prices.

Last edited by JasonWW; 01-07-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

CAMARO mag for JAN08 has a 69 Camaro getting AirRidesTechnology suspension installed.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you go to Air Rides site there is already an article on a 1st gen using their Airbar setup to replace the leaf springs.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am def doing this in the spring, but i'll prob. just get the air ride kit.
here are some vids i found on youtube. no idea what they are talking about.(not speaking english) but they got a bunch of good vids.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_DslWCUsyc
Old 04-27-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I lost some ground clearance after putting in my custom turbo kit. I have the Horsepower TV episode with the SS Camaro and like that set up. I'm considering that kit end of the year. Another option for me is to put in a tubular K-member allowing me to run my piping over the crossmember. I will continue my homework on the Airride set up as it would give me an adjustable set up for track days, auto Xs, street driving or low speed cruising.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I think if we can get some videos of the car riding low and them lifting to go up a steep driveway and then dropping back down like it's no big deal, people will say "Hey, that's awesome. I want to be able to do that as well". Air suspensions can be very practical, we just don't see videos of the practical side. All we see is dancing and bouncing cars.
14 years later we have the c8 lifting the front
Old 02-27-2021, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zigy28
14 years later we have the c8 lifting the front
It goes back much further than that. Some exotic cars used that over 20 years ago. The C8 system is hydraulic as opposed to having a small assist air bag.

Quick Reply: How To Air Bag Your 4th Gen for $600