Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LCA's tubluar vs. boxed

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so Im still not sure what I want. I think tubular will suit me better b/c I like riding through the mountains and what not, hopefully Road Atlanta next year. I was doing a little reserach for relocation brakets. I DO plan on lowering the car some time in the next year hopefully. So my question is, should I go ahead and get relocation brackets?
Old 12-19-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your primary concern is RR or autox, then no, you don't need relocation barackets. The LCAs actually perform better and more predictably on a road course when they are angled downwards to the chassis. If you want to drag race too, pick up a set of relo brackets and you can run them on one of 2 or 3 settings to optimise traction in a strait line.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
Yeah i've heard there really isn't that much of a difference. I know if you want adjustables you will need tubular.
-Joel
YUP
Old 12-19-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

This topic just came up a week or two ago

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...517&highlight=
Old 12-19-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
If your primary concern is RR or autox, then no, you don't need relocation barackets. The LCAs actually perform better and more predictably on a road course when they are angled downwards to the chassis. If you want to drag race too, pick up a set of relo brackets and you can run them on one of 2 or 3 settings to optimise traction in a strait line.
Exactly what Sam Strano told me today!! I'm gonna see if I have wheel hop AFTER lowering and then decide.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The key to a great suspension is adjustability...I'd get a good set of adjustable lcas now...You'll kick yourself down the road when you decide to do more mods...

--Alan
Old 12-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Launching!

So what would be the ceaper for the best combo? Not so much mountain cruises or auto-X, mainly drag racing. I want to cut down my 60ft. As of now with stock suspension I am running 1.89 60fts.

1. Tubular, adjustable, poly, relocation brakects
2. Tubular, poly, relocation
3. Tubular, adjustable, poly
4. Other

Sorry to keep dragging this out, but I want to do it right.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
If your primary concern is RR or autox, then no, you don't need relocation barackets.
Yes, you do. Lowering the car alters the suspension geometry. The ideal (and stock) angle of the LCAs (in relation to the flat, level ground) is parallel, or slightly angled up from the rear end to the body. When you lower the car, it's not parallel and not at the ideal angle. At least that's what I've always read.
If you like to corner and drag race, get tubular adjustables with brackets. All kinds of adjustment there. Do it right the first time. Or, ignore me cause I drive a 3rd gen and therefore am inferior.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91_RS_LS1
Yes, you do. Lowering the car alters the suspension geometry. The ideal (and stock) angle of the LCAs (in relation to the flat, level ground) is parallel, or slightly angled up from the rear end to the body. When you lower the car, it's not parallel and not at the ideal angle. At least that's what I've always read.
If you like to corner and drag race, get tubular adjustables with brackets. All kinds of adjustment there. Do it right the first time. Or, ignore me cause I drive a 3rd gen and therefore am inferior.
No, you dont

take a look at this older thread. I used to think exactly what you thought, but I was wrong. you will encounter unfavorable roll steer if the LCAs are angled upwards twards the chassis.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...le+lca+chassis

Again, If your primary concern is RR / AutoX, then you should leave the LCAs in the stock bracketry on a lowered car.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Launching!

After reading that long *** link that Hpjunky posted, all I really got out of it that every car is different. And that I dont want poly on both ends. So another question I have from reading it, would it be best to stay at current ride higth and not lower the car?
Old 12-20-2007, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

I'm glad you pointed this out. I'd always thought that setting them level was best because the arms were more 'neutral' then. But, trackbird (if it's the same one I'm thinking about) knows his stuff. My car hardly rolls any at all, so I don't think it will make too much difference for me lol.
Oh well, I know a simple solution: Install ones from Spohn with the stock bolt hole still open and run in the stock location until you take it to the track.

Quick Reply: LCA's tubluar vs. boxed