Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What is needed for more caster - lower A-arms?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Default What is needed for more caster - lower A-arms?

Guys, my car doesn't have enough caster (about 1.5*) to suit me and it feels numb on center. My question is fairly simple and I am hoping Sam or Ryan/UMI will jump in. Will adjustable lower A-arms do the trick alone or do I need adjustable uppers also? I will get the uppers regardless, just need to know if they need to be adjustable or not.

This is a street car only, though I drive the hell out of it - lots of miles, lots of on-and -off ramps, etc. It will likely never see an AutoX course, I just want a lighter, more responsive front end.

Thanks!
Jason
Old 12-21-2007, 10:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Something is wrong if you only have 1.5 caster...... should easily make 4+. Because your number is so far off, I'd hesitate to sell you anything until we think we know why.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-21-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think he meant camber?
Old 12-21-2007, 02:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Steering feel is not a camber thing, it's caster. And unless he's hardcore racing, he doesn't need more than -1.5 camber....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-22-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Well, when I got it aligned - the ls1tech rec'd specs in hand - if we got enough caster, it threw the camber out. I settled for toe and camber and compromised on caster, to keep my tires from chewing themselves up too early. Any suggestions? I have some money burning a hole in my pocket. I was hoping to get your sway bars, Sam, but if I need A-arms, I can do the sways later. Should I try another shop as a second opinon?
Old 12-22-2007, 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe Sam has some replacement bushings for 4th gens that will help the 'contradictory' stock lower a arm bushing setup.
In other words; they will let you get MAX negative camber along with MAX caster much more easily.
Sam??
Old 12-26-2007, 12:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, I can certainly help.

Seriously, that caster number is WAY out of whack, you need to recheck your data and make sure you don't have camber and caster confused. There is no way we can go from 1.5 caster to in spec caster, regardless of the camber. Yes, as you add negative camber, you will lose some posititve caster with a stock arm.

Quick Reply: What is needed for more caster - lower A-arms?