Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: Happy with SLP Bilsteins?
Yes
80.85%
No
19.15%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Satisfied with SLP Bilsteins?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car came with them but they work fine for me.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

What's "fine"? I notice at least some of the voters in the poll who voted "yes" don't even have SLP's....

They are "fine", for their intended use and application. That is NOT the best handling, or to be dealing with extra spring rate, and shorter spring travel. They are a bit better than DeCarbon's because SLP didn't screw up near as much as GM did. However, they are still more about ride quality than anything.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-02-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

^^^I didn't say they were the best, I said they were fine for me which is true. I mainly just cruise with car and hit the track every now and then. Obviously somebody who is gonna take part in a road race may want something better.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

Sam, your mom said you run the 4/3's. If so what made you chose them over the 4/4's?
Old 01-02-2008, 02:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I've run both, and I know what settings I like, and I know how they compare. Having had both, I know the 3rd gens work for me and I've never needed to re-install my 4th gens. It's a option and a workable one. You do give up some adjustability and you have to remove them to adjust them where the 4's you don't.

Both work, you simply have more wiggle room for tuning and it's easier tuning with the more expensive set. And given your springs, they are the slightly better choice.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

then 4/4's it is. If i dont like the springs then down the road ill just buy yours but since i did buy them im atleast going to give them a go. thats understandable right?
Old 01-02-2008, 03:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yep, it's understandable. If you want Koni's get them fast, I just got price increase information, 4/4's go up by $32 when I sell what I have, which could be very, very soon.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

im buying them tomorrow. i had to transfer money to the account i actually have a debit card for b/c i cant really add you all as a biller. haha
Old 01-19-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the 4/3 kit. Love it.

You won't regret spending the extra $$$ ... nobody ever does
Old 04-28-2008, 01:04 AM
11 Second Club

I have the SLP Bilsteins with stock springs. I hate the ride. The front end is really bouncy. They're only about a year old but they feel worn out, at least in the front. They don't make the car feel planted. Their comfortable but you just don't feel secure when pushing them on a twisty road even with good tires. Granted I don't have swaybars, just full tubular rear. I've riden in my buddies SS with AGXs and they feel much more controlled. Just my .02
Old 04-28-2008, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It is hard not to say anything, but I bet your unplanted/unsecured feeling is due to your lack of front sway bar than the shocks. But it might just be me
Old 04-28-2008, 01:54 AM
11 Second Club

I hope I wasn't misleading, I have sway bars, just the stock ones though. If you're implying that it could be the lack of bigger sway bars, I agree. I would need them at some point if I wanted these shocks to feel decent. I've read though that with good shocks, aftermarket bars shouldn't be needed for a decent handling street car. Maybe Sam could clarify. He seems to know his stuff.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i think he interpreted it as you not having a front sway bar connected at all, which would be a huge issue.

I think your opinion is valid as bilsteins for our car are geared for comfort opposed to handling.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 02SunsetZ
I have the SLP Bilsteins with stock springs. I hate the ride. The front end is really bouncy. They're only about a year old but they feel worn out, at least in the front. They don't make the car feel planted. Their comfortable but you just don't feel secure when pushing them on a twisty road even with good tires. Granted I don't have swaybars, just full tubular rear. I've riden in my buddies SS with AGXs and they feel much more controlled. Just my .02
And hence the reason if we can't do Koni's, I've been using AGX's. I'm not a fan of the SLP Bilstein's, and in the current day and age I can't say I'm a fan of Bilstein for these cars period because of the playing around with valvings (and not for the good).

What folks like it largely relative to what they 'expect' and have to opprotunity to compare to, which is normally stock. And far too often folks post that XYZ is great, about a day after installing said part. What happens a month, 6 months, or 2 years down the road.

Here is an example of what tends to happen with borderline dampers. They feel good when installed, but very little wear begins to make them lack too much control.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 02SunsetZ
I hope I wasn't misleading, I have sway bars, just the stock ones though. If you're implying that it could be the lack of bigger sway bars, I agree. I would need them at some point if I wanted these shocks to feel decent. I've read though that with good shocks, aftermarket bars shouldn't be needed for a decent handling street car. Maybe Sam could clarify. He seems to know his stuff.

What do I need to clarify? The front bar on a Z28 is too small IMO for what I'd term good handling, I think the 32mm SS/1LE/WS6 should have been stock. That said, you don't need to upgrade it if you don't want to. And the lack of damping reported earlier has nothing to do with a stock bar.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

i have hypercoils with revalved bilsteins in the front of my car and slp bilsteins/slp eibachs in the rear and i'm happy with them. wayyy better than stock 90k mile springs/shocks. i've had em on for 4 or 5 months and so far so good(it was all used when i bought it too). ride is pretty firm but i really don't mind. the ride isn't bouncy but it springs up from bumps pretty quickly.

probably helps that i got my springs/shocks/32mm swaybar for $35 after selling off the front slp eibachs/bilsteins/rear swaybar that i didn't use. had i payed $7-900 i may feel differently.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

i think this is the part number you wanted for 3/4. there on Sams website.

Part #: 30-1265 Sport

please correct me if i am wrong.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Teching In

My car came with the SLP/Bilstien eibach set up from the factory.I thought it was pretty good. At 60K I bought the Koni 4/3 SA's from sam.

All I can say is they ARE NOT comparable( even new SLP feel vs. new Koni Feel). The Koni's are somewhat stiffer at first, they ease up over time; but the handling improvement over the SLP/Bilstien is substantial. The high speed handling and stability improvement is dramatic.

Don't waste your time & money with the Bilstiens. If need be save up for the Koni's - they are that much better.period.

This comes from someone who has had both.

The dampening quality of the Koni's is far superior.

I bought Bilstien HD's for my thirdgen, and regret not getting the Koni's. For a street driven performance car, the Koni's are the way to go. Brings the camaro/F-body handling performance up much closer the the level of other true "sports" cars.IMHO

Quick Reply: Satisfied with SLP Bilsteins?