Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I want bilsteins!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008 | 07:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Here's a decent price for a set of koni's.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/839309-fs-koni-sa-front-rear-adjustable-shocks.html
Old 01-08-2008 | 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea I was pm'd that link... I sent him a PM and will buy if all works out.

thanks
Old 01-10-2008 | 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

well seems the seller doesn't have the receipt so no point buying a LT product w/ no receipt...
Old 01-10-2008 | 03:11 PM
Restricted User

I have Hotchkis springs with Bilstein HDs. I did alot of research before buying and still bought the HDs. Why? Because I saved $600 by doing so.

Sam is right, of course. In terms of "what is best", HDs are not it. But there are lots of times in life where you can't afford what's best. That doesn't make everything else worthless. If you are looking to lower your car without sacrificing acceptable ride quality and handling, HDs are fine. If you are looking for significantly improved handling, or you want to track the car...you don't want HDs.

I have ridden in several f-bodies with Koni's and I will tell you this. There is definetly a difference...but it's not a $600 difference in my opinion. That's why i'm just waiting for a great deal to come up on Koni's sometime in the future...then i'll pick them up...but they are without a doubt overpriced as they stand.

All that said, I was very impressed with HDs, even having ridden in better setups previously. Ride quality suffered only slightly, handling is much improved, and the car looks great. I DO however notice a few minor weaknesses that I assume Koni's will remedy.
Old 01-10-2008 | 03:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

I told myself I'd just stay out of this thread from now on. I guess I was wrong.

I think that people's perspectives are messed up. It's not at all uncommon to see someone spend $1200 on headers, or heads, or $600 on a exhaust. Or $1000+ on wheels. But when you are talking about shocks, the lynch-pin to the suspension, the attitude becomes "it's not worth it".

Add to that there are different HD's and some are better than others that you can't just say "HD's are fine" regardless of how you think they stack up vs. Koni's. And fwiw, you didn't save $600 by buying Bilstein's. Prices depend on when you bought them, but when Bilstein's were last around, they were $329 a set, and Koni's at the same time were $740 a set which is a little over $400. While still not a $10 difference that is a $200 delta, and suddenly makes the bang for the buck perspective change a bit, does it not?

I'll further add that those car that had Koni's... Same springs as you? What was the shock settings being used (because a huge range of adjustment changes the ride and handling a lot). Where the two cars on a similar tire and wheel setup? Tire stiffness, and unsprung weight both effect things tremendously. The point is there are variables that play in that should be considered. It's easy to say HD's aren't Koni's, but aren't worth the difference, and you might well feel that way. But it's also hard for you to make a fair comparison when other things between the cars are different. Hell, tire pressure makes a car ride way more differently. Don't believe me? Try running 30 psi, than 35 psi all around and hit a few bumps. You'll find out quick that the ride changes lot independent of any other factors.

Darkhorse_SS is annoyed with me, I know that. And this isn't directed at him, or anyone else. I felt it important to note that there are a BIG number of mitigating factors involved in ride and handlng. Crappy setup of other things on a car with Koni's can well not be much better and maybe worse than a less capable shock and a less screwed up setup overall.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-10-2008 | 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

With my 93Z28 I bought the Bilstein HD's and had the Eibach prokit, I also had RKSport 35mm front 25mm rear swaybar and SFC's, I thought my car handled pretty good...

I bought the Eibach Pros and Bilstein HD's and the RKSport sways because I read from members here and from other .com sites that they loved this setup.

I even talked to Sam, I'm sure he doesn't remember this, but he told me not to get the HD's, they're not meant for lowered cars, I figured how does HE know? there are LOTS of members that have the HD's and Prokits, THEY would know...

What I LEARNED is that they know only what they know, that is, compared to the deCarbon's and factory shocks, the Bilstein HD's and prokits were definitely better than factory, but in reality that ain't saying much...

30,000 miles later I went to the Rim of the World cruise over here in Big Bear, this was around 2000 or 2001 and the car scared the CRAP out of me, as we were hitting the corners pretty fast, the car was pushing REAL bad, VERY unstable in the turns, VERY unstable going over bumps, every time I went over some uneven roads or small potholes the car would literally be :wiggle:ing while going straight, the rear end was bouncing off of the bumpstops, all in all I was VERY disapointed with my setup.

And obviously the rear swaybar was too big, everytime I would accelerate out of a corner the rear end to lose its grip and I would begin fishtailing, which caused me to compensate by countersteering out of a corner, NOT fun.

I found out the HD's were blown, after only 30K miles, I was basically being bounced around by the springs and bumpstops, I was VERY irritated and I hated driving my car.

I sold it and got a 2001 SS, got a different setup including Koni's, the car is a handling BEAST, and my rear Koni DA's are blown and my Koni DA's STILL handle better than the HD's ever did. The ride comfort is great!

My .02
Old 01-10-2008 | 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DarkhorSe_SS
check this out fellas I ain't pissed at anyone but when i know what I'm looking for then don't try to persuade or give me scenarios.. Like I said, I know he knows what he's talking about but my price is set.. I'm not looking for something that is lifetime warranty Maybe shocks for 2-3 years than I can upgrade to the koni's.. Not looking for the best bang for the buck... You guys dig
Yo doGG check this sH**

I got the best idea! By the time Bilstiens are available, you'll have saved up enough for Konis by then.

In all seriousness, theres been people who have put on kybs, bilstiens, etc on with lower springs who have liked it and people who have not. Some shocks more than others have more bad reviews depending on what springs you use. Either way you're gonna get the combo and either like it/deal with it or find yourself removing them and getting konis later on anyway, which if you ask me sounds a lot more expensive than just buying konis. Its a risk you have to decide you want to take. It seems like more people switch than keep what they have from what I've seen

I have not seen a single person give a bad review of their Konis...

Note Konis go up in price every year
Old 01-10-2008 | 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

I like my Koni's . Its hard to talk me out of something also when I want it. I was going to get a torque arm and sways all at once and was talked out of that but now I very much need a TA and I want some strano sways. Yes the koni's are expensive but I never drove a lowered f-body that rode so great.

Last edited by SpdFrk1990; 01-10-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2008 | 06:57 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I think that people's perspectives are messed up. It's not at all uncommon to see someone spend $1200 on headers, or heads, or $600 on a exhaust. Or $1000+ on wheels. But when you are talking about shocks, the lynch-pin to the suspension, the attitude becomes "it's not worth it".
I'd like to note that I also would never spend $1200 on headers. That's insane if you ask me.

Wheels and exhaust are a different story however because they are not as much performance parts as they are image parts. When you pay more for Koni's, you are not paying a cent for image...just performance. You can get the same image with any shock. When you pay $600+ for a GMMG or Corsa catback, you are paying for a sound you can not get anywhere else. Or with wheels, you are paying for a look.

Add to that there are different HD's and some are better than others that you can't just say "HD's are fine" regardless of how you think they stack up vs. Koni's. And fwiw, you didn't save $600 by buying Bilstein's. Prices depend on when you bought them, but when Bilstein's were last around, they were $329 a set, and Koni's at the same time were $740 a set which is a little over $400. While still not a $10 difference that is a $200 delta, and suddenly makes the bang for the buck perspective change a bit, does it not?
I paid $200 shipped for all four of my Bilsteins brand new in box. Anyone else could have done the same with a little patience. Conversely, i can't for the life of me find a set of Koni's (4/4) for under $700 excluding shipping. Been looking for nearly a year now. That, my friend, is too expensive.

I'll further add that those car that had Koni's... Same springs as you? What was the shock settings being used (because a huge range of adjustment changes the ride and handling a lot). Where the two cars on a similar tire and wheel setup? Tire stiffness, and unsprung weight both effect things tremendously. The point is there are variables that play in that should be considered. It's easy to say HD's aren't Koni's, but aren't worth the difference, and you might well feel that way. But it's also hard for you to make a fair comparison when other things between the cars are different. Hell, tire pressure makes a car ride way more differently. Don't believe me? Try running 30 psi, than 35 psi all around and hit a few bumps. You'll find out quick that the ride changes lot independent of any other factors.
Same springs, same tires, same pressure (I set the pressure myself). One of the two cars also had upgraded sway bars, I have stockers. I was set on the springs that I wanted so I purposely looked for cars with those springs and tires so I could see what Koni could do with the components I had already chosen.

After pushing both cars very hard and driving my car a couple thousand miles, I still don't see $600 worth of difference.

Like I said, if I can pick up Konis for, say, $500...i'd do that. I can see $300 worth of difference, or close to it.
Old 01-10-2008 | 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Darkhorse_SS is annoyed with me, I know that. And this isn't directed at him, or anyone else. I felt it important to note that there are a BIG number of mitigating factors involved in ride and handlng. Crappy setup of other things on a car with Koni's can well not be much better and maybe worse than a less capable shock and a less screwed up setup overall.
Sam I ain't annoyed by you but I wasn't expecting another info lecture. I know why shocks are so important for these cars etc. but I was trying to find any route not to pay so much for these shocks "right now" since I'm still in school.

Oh well I guess I have to cough up the cash since I really need my suspension fixed. I'll call you tomorrow Sam to see what is best for my ride.

I know that there are DA's or SA's but what's the difference???
Old 01-10-2008 | 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

But my questions have been answered, as I too have the same problem as Carlos01SS had. I am currently "all over the place" with my Bilsteins and currently hoping to purchase some Koni's or a shock of similar character that will last. Thanks to Sam and UMI for the info provided here as well as all who have Teched In.
Old 01-11-2008 | 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sam I ain't annoyed by you but I wasn't expecting another info lecture. I know why shocks are so important for these cars etc. but I was trying to find any route not to pay so much for these shocks "right now" since I'm still in school.

Oh well I guess I have to cough up the cash since I really need my suspension fixed. I'll call you tomorrow Sam to see what is best for my ride.

I know that there are DA's or SA's but what's the difference???
DAs adjust both the bound and rebound. SAs are only rebound.

Get the SAs if your looking to upgrade to Konis fo the cheapest you can. Go for Sam's 3/4 package and save a bit more still.
Old 01-11-2008 | 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

just ordered the koni's...

oh well my suspension needs to get fixed and I should be happy with them.. I'll post the results soon

Thanks Sam
Old 01-11-2008 | 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

just ordered the koni's...

oh well my suspension needs to get fixed and I should be happy with them.. I'll post the results soon

Thanks Sam
About time they talked you into buying those things haha. You will be happy with the results.
Old 01-11-2008 | 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

midas well man... tired of waiting!!lol
Old 01-11-2008 | 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

LOL I like the sig update.
Old 01-11-2008 | 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
Wheels and exhaust are a different story however because they are not as much performance parts as they are image parts. When you pay more for Koni's, you are not paying a cent for image...just performance. You can get the same image with any shock. When you pay $600+ for a GMMG or Corsa catback, you are paying for a sound you can not get anywhere else. Or with wheels, you are paying for a look.

I paid $200 shipped for all four of my Bilsteins brand new in box. Anyone else could have done the same with a little patience. Conversely, i can't for the life of me find a set of Koni's (4/4) for under $700 excluding shipping. Been looking for nearly a year now. That, my friend, is too expensive.
Don't buy anything other than cars that have cheap parts then if you want to modify something. 800 bucks is actually a steal compared to whats available for my STI. Either way it doesn't matter. You got a setup that satisfies you and thats all that matters.

I'm also quite the opposite. I have been steering away from making mods to the car that enhance image only and have no performance benefit. If it won't help me win, its a waste of money for me. And my days of impressing people with my car are long gone, unless its on the track
Old 01-11-2008 | 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Don't buy anything other than cars that have cheap parts then if you want to modify something. 800 bucks is actually a steal compared to whats available for my STI. Either way it doesn't matter. You got a setup that satisfies you and thats all that matters.

I'm also quite the opposite. I have been steering away from making mods to the car that enhance image only and have no performance benefit. If it won't help me win, its a waste of money for me. And my days of impressing people with my car are long gone, unless its on the track
Im the same way im much more interested in function over form. I do keep my ride clean and like for it to look good but I always tend to buy performance parts before appearance. I dont think I have bought 1 appearance part for my car yet.
Old 01-11-2008 | 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

make sure to post up once they're installed... should be quite a change
Old 01-11-2008 | 11:23 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by z28bryan

I'm not against buying high-dollar parts...i'm against paying the high-dollar price for them. For instance, I paid $200 for a $380 set of Bilsteins. I would not have paid $380 for them. If I can snag the $800 Koni's for somewhere in the $500 range, i'll do it. I go to great lengths to make sure I get the best deal possible on the part that I want.

And about impressing others...my problem is not impressing other people...i can do that easily...it's impressing myself that is getting harder and harder.