Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

shocks and low.springs for 98 V6 convert.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shocks and low.springs for 98 V6 convert.

Hey guys, i read so many treads here and i used the serch in this forum. But tooo many to read!

I'm from Germany and i drive my car as a daily. No racing or drag.
I have a 98 Camaro V6 convertible. Almost stock for the moment. I will upgrade the suspension for optik and for better handling.

I need lowerings sprinngs and of course.. some new shocks that will work with the springs. And also some aftermarket or GM 1LE/SS/WS6 sway bars. Thats it!

Remember: 98 V6 convertible

Springs:
1.) Strano springs
2.) Vogtland springs
3.) Eibach pro kit for V6

shocks:
1.) SLP/Bilsteins
2.) Bilsteins HD but where to buy? (backorder)
3.) ???

Which is the best combo for my money? I Know all says Koni with Strano springs but, i think its to expensive!

800$ for Koni shocks and then 200 for shipping to germany and on all 25% Tax and dutys! That is a total of 1250 US Dollar only for shocks! And that is to much for me!

So what can i do? What is the best combo after the koni/strano suspension?

SLP/Bilstein shocks? with strano or eibach?
Or the Bilstein BTS kit?

Nedd help to make the rigt sale!
Old 01-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by DReamland
800$ for Koni shocks and then 200 for shipping to germany and on all 25% Tax and dutys! That is a total of 1250 US Dollar only for shocks! And that is to much for me!
Koni is a European company (they even have a German version of their site). Buy them local.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:43 AM
Teching In

Yep in know is a german company! I called them via phone and mail. They told me that this shocks made only for USA and are only in USA available. No way to get the shocks here in germany! The same is from Bilstein, Vogtland and H&R. all are german companys but all made the springs exclusive for USA! No way!
Eibach is the only one that says you can order the eibach springs from UK! But the UK pound price plus VAT is higher for me than i buy it in USA
Old 01-15-2008, 11:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Koni is from Holland.. and owned by ITT, which is American (last I checked).

Let me add that you get what you pay for. You PM'ed me and this is at least the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen this question. The answer won't change, and most folks will probably tell you to get with me anyway.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-15-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want to lower it and maintain a good DD ride then just get the Konis and put them on the stock springs on the lower perch.

Do your suspension right the first time.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Yep Koni is from Holland! My mistake!

OK, i believe your answer that Koni is worth every penny. I mean also that Porsche is worth every Euro! But to expensive. I cant believe that Koni makes the one and only shocks for our car. I think that we speak from differnt thinks. I have no problem with the stock V6 handling. That have everythink stock and also the small sway bars. Lowering is for me only a question for the look. And will the lowered car specially with new other shocks ride a little bid better or the same as bevore...that is OK!
Old 01-15-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DReamland
Yep Koni is from Holland! My mistake!

OK, i believe your answer that Koni is worth every penny. I mean also that Porsche is worth every Euro! But to expensive. I cant believe that Koni makes the one and only shocks for our car. I think that we speak from differnt thinks. I have no problem with the stock V6 handling. That have everythink stock and also the small sway bars. Lowering is for me only a question for the look. And will the lowered car specially with new other shocks ride a little bid better or the same as bevore...that is OK!
Think of it like this:
Shorty headers will make more power than stock ones, and LT's would make even more. No one is going to suggest getting the shorty's because the power increase is not worth the money compared to getting LT's for a little more.
This is kinda how it applies here, with the Konis your getting more control, feel, a better ride, and you get adjustability as well.
I did all my suspension one piece at a time, started with shocks. If I had the choice between getting good springs and ok shocks, or getting good shocks and staying with the stock springs I would get the later, the Koni's are that good, especially if you are living in a place like Germany. What about Penske, how much can you get those over there?

Quick Reply: shocks and low.springs for 98 V6 convert.