Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni 4th gen rear vs 3rd gen rear???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 02:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Koni 4th gen rear vs 3rd gen rear???

I'm not worried about the associated cost to get what I want in this particular endeavor of my car. I know the 4th gen is adjustable without having to uninstall them but I thought I read something about the 3rd gen having a bigger piston/more heavy duty which is better for heavier aftermarket rears. Any truth to this and if their is, is it a noticeable difference or just slightly?

As far as the ease of adjustment, I'm sure I'll only ever adjust them once after the initial testing but even then it would be nice and save me some install time with the 4th gens. Plus, I might be more likely to adjust them more often if its easier, i.e. to full soft when I know I'm going on a roadtrip.

Anyway, will I still be okay with the 4th gens if I ever decide to go to an aftermarket rear? What is the main benefit of the bigger piston in the 3rd gens? Faster rebound, smoother ride? I'm doing shocks because I'm looking for a better quality/less harsh ride so if one is better or worse, with or without an aftermarket rear, please chime in. Sam? Thanks fellas!
Old 01-22-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nobody?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call Sam and talk to him. I'm not sure how many folks have had both shocks and know the difference.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what Sam told me, there are just more lvls of adjustment to them for the 4th gens. I'm running the 3rd gens in the rear and one click is pleanty back there. I'd think the only real reason one would want the 4th gens is the ease of being able to adjust them w/out taking them out of the car (not like their hard to remove lol). Shoot him an Email or call him (keep in mind, he's very busy, so it might take him a few days to get back to you).

Quick Reply: Koni 4th gen rear vs 3rd gen rear???