Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

"slack" in my drivetrain

Old 01-27-2008, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "slack" in my drivetrain

Alright heres the deal, My car is lowered about 1.5 inches, i have a Dana S60 rear with a 4.10, and a custom fabricated drive shaft. When ever i am driving the car under normal acceleration, i feel as if there is some "slack" or "lash" in the whole system. If i dont come off of the clutch very easy or just right the car makes a clunking noise. I cant determine if it is at the trans/driveshaft connection or at the driveshaft/rear end connection or both. Just looking to see if anyone else has had the same thing happen to them or what are some possible causes/fixes. I know the pinion angles are one possibility, as the shaft and rear were already in the car when i purchased it. Any info is appreciated.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the exact same issue... but with stock suspension.

I think my motor mounts are shot since I have a poly tranny mount and the shifter still moves around (and moves around with the slack movement.)

You might want to look into that... as if you have yet to, I'd place a bet the stockers are loosing it. I only have 30k on my DD and they are toast.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

I don't know what causes the clunk. I have a slightly clunky rear when I slow down to around 1300 rpm in a high gear.

Different things can eliminate slack. I would say that the engine and rear counter turning each other qualifies as slack. Getting poly mounts for the tranny and engine, getting a bigger swaybar, different springs and shocks. Then the slack of the rear wanting to inch forward, I'm assuming a better torque arm, LCAs or LCA bushings would eliminate the slack there.

Although increasing the reaction of the rear can have benefits, it could have drawbacks in other areas.

My exhaust caused a clunk when accellerating hard when I put a new one on. I needed to adjust it.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CranMaro99
I think my motor mounts are shot since I have a poly tranny mount and the shifter still moves around (and moves around with the slack movement.)

If I were you I would get poly motor mounts asap. Having a poly trans mount and stock motor mounts, puts a lot of stress on your bellhousing, and can cause it to crack.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Launching!

thanks for the input guys. Where can i go about getting these poly mounts at? Do they come in a full kit like to do all the bushings in the suspension....lca,torque arm, tranny, engine etc?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedLS
If I were you I would get poly motor mounts asap. Having a poly trans mount and stock motor mounts, puts a lot of stress on your bellhousing, and can cause it to crack.
I do plan on actually. Very soon to be honest.

Until then I have yet to get on it at all really. It is my DD.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Launching!

I was just strolling through some ofthe sticky at the top that i didnt see the first time, it talks about using adj. PHB and LCA's to move the rear axle, could this possibly be the problem? Maybe since the parts have been put on the car has not been put properly "in line"?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have had a 4 wheel alignment after you installed the LCAs and PHB, then you should be fine. As far as the poly motor mounts go, many sponsors carry them. Be warned though, the install is a bitch if you've never done it before.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
If you have had a 4 wheel alignment after you installed the LCAs and PHB, then you should be fine. As far as the poly motor mounts go, many sponsors carry them. Be warned though, the install is a bitch if you've never done it before.
Whats tools are required, anything special, or just a lot of redneck engeneering and elbow grease?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "slack" in my drivetrain