Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hitting Bump Stops

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitting Bump Stops

What does it feel like or how does it sound? I'm thinking I'm hitting them when I got on it from a low roll. At first I thought it might be exhaust but the more I do it the more I'm thinking it's the bump stops.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whats your suspension setup? I think you would know when your hitting the bump stops. There isn't much give in them at all.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:06 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

All these cars hit the bumpstops at some point. It doesn't sound like anything (provided they are in place) because you never hit anything metal to metal. It feels very abupt if you have lousy shocks and/or springs because you hit them very hard and very quickly. But again, it's a normal thing for these cars regardless of the shocks and springs, better ones simply soften the blow and you can't even tell when you get to them if things are setup right.

I don't think that's your problem.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:18 AM

Mine are shot and it sounds like a sledge hitting the rear undercarraige over bumps sometimes.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

If they aren't there, or are trashed, your axle can hit the body. That's a big reason we don't remove them. They are there for a reason, and if they are worn out need to be changed like anything else.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-30-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I know I've got a good set of shocks.

Right now I have BMR springs with Koni SAs. I did change up my relocation brackets and the car wants to plant now instead of wheel hop real bad. It never did this before and I could even have people in the back and it wouldn't happen like this. This is pretty hard the 1st time it happened it scared me. I really think it's something other than the bump stops but I'm exploring all options at this point.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm probably going to get new rear bumpstops before the racing season. Mine are cracked pretty bad and look like they could fold over at any time.

Quick Reply: Hitting Bump Stops