Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

About to upgrade have a few questions!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 07:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default About to upgrade have a few questions!

Im about to upgrade all 4 shocks all around on my 98. The car has 190K miles on it and still has the stock shocks on it . Needless to say the ride quality is like a go cart im gettin the crap beat out of me but anyways. I want to lower the car about an inch but the setup I want to go with is Koni's all around and stock springs. The Koni's do have a lower perch I beleive that allows you to lower the car about an inch right at the shock right? The question is do the rear also have this same perch? I think since I don't do autocross and just want a decent handling and smooth ride that this would be the best option for me. Can anyone shed some light on this for me. Do I have to get lowering springs to drop it or can I go the Koni route and lower it the way I described it.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Since the front shocks are coil-over shocks the springs sit on a perch, that with the Koni's you can lower for a 3/4" reduce in front ride height. The rears are not coil over, so there is no perch, the springs is separate from the shock. You can remove the rear isolator (rubber piece sits between the spring and the body of the car) and replace it with a rubber hose to drop the rear some. Search "heater hose mod" or "hose mod".