Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Too much Loctite?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much Loctite?

I recently swapped out my rotors/pads, using Loctite on all the bolts as recommended by various forum members. However, when I went to apply it I wasn't sure how much to use (cover the whole bolt or just the tip?). Well, I may have been a little overzealous -- and covered the whole bolt with red loctite. I'm thinking now that may haunt me later when I go to remove them. Have I really gotten myself in trouble? Thanks for the advice...
Old 07-12-2003, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Too much Loctite?

Most important question....Which loctite did you use? If it is red (high strength) you may have problems....the good news is that it takes heat to loosen up loctite and brakes make plenty of that (if it is enough to loosen the type and amount you used remains to be seen). How much did you apply and what type?

Let us know....
Old 07-12-2003, 11:41 PM
Teching In

It was red and I covered about 3/4th of the bolts... Are you supposed to only cover the last couple threads?
Old 07-13-2003, 01:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Those may be slightly stuck. With that said, there are options. You can....

1.Look for a spare set of caliper brackets and stick them in the garage for the next pad change.

2.Hope that the heat from brake use loosens the grip of the loctite over time.

3.Gently (GENTLY!) apply heat to the bolt head in an effort to heat them enough to release the loctite. If the car is back together, no reason to do this now, it may loosen grip over time and be easier later. Those are my best guesses....

Anyone else???
Old 07-13-2003, 01:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

And...I only use red for larger fastners. I stick to green or blue for smaller stuff (like caliper bolts) and only put it on 3 or 4 threads. Just my thoughts.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's just a "glue" to keep the bolt from vibrating loose. I usually look at where the fastner will end up when tightened, and place a drop about in the middle of the threads that will engage the nut.

Getting the fastner out with that much loctite is gonna be tough. I suggest you go very slowly when removing it. The added friction will be pretty high if you really get after it. Take your time and keep the heat build up low so it won't bind or gall the threads.

Once removed, use a wire brush to get all the old loctite off the threads ...
Old 08-10-2003, 01:44 AM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Driving around and making some hot stops will get the temps up high enough to reduce the thread lockers effectiveness.Red loctite will start to give after being exposed to about 300* F and up.If you have problem come removal time. My suggestion would be to heat the bolts themselves with a torch and melt candlewax at the base of the head.The wax will wick into the threads somewhat and aid removal.You can place a wet cloth over the calipers to keep them cool.
I use red loctite on the bolts that fasten the rotors to the wheels on my bike. After a few weeks of aggressive use the loctite still work but is nowhere near as effective as when new.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I put my rear suspension back together I literally dipped the bolts in red loctite. Over time I had to redo them a few times (for random reasons). It's easy enough to get em out. Smallish breaker bar and maybe some PB blaster and you're done. A smaller fastener might break though, that would suck.

Dope
Old 08-13-2003, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Any issues with simply using an impact gun or does that risk popping the bolt heads?

Quick Reply: Too much Loctite?