Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Time to Lower it

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Time to Lower it

Well in a month or so the stock wheels will be coming off and the zr-1's back on. It would definitely look significantly better lowered, as you can probably tell. However, i am going to school this winter and am moving away so right now i'm on a budget as im trying to save up to pay off rent for awhile. So i really don't want to throw a 1000 bucks to lower it. I ran across the eibach pro kit over on autoanything.com and its only like 230 shipped. Not to mention it says you can use it with the stock shocks. I'm not worried about racing or anything and really am not that worried about handling or the ride quality, as it's pretty much **** now anyways. (bone stock suspension) I read that quite a few people have these springs on their stock shocks and they are satisifed for what they want out of it. I read over the little tutorial on installing them and it seems pretty easy. So if i could get by without the shocks that would be great, remember i'm not being picky on ride/handling. Just basically going for the look. Any input on what i should do?
Old 02-16-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

People do it, but it will ride like a Tank

Just like the ol saying "ya get what ya pay for"
Old 02-16-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Surely it couldn't ride worse than stock?
Old 02-16-2008, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

doing the same here with the Eibachs.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Have you actually installed them? Keeping the stock shocks? If so, let me know how it turns out, you will probably beat me too it, i'm probably not going to install them for about a month.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

It sounds like you have other priorities to take care of first. I would save your money until you have enough to do it right.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slikrider20
Have you actually installed them? Keeping the stock shocks? If so, let me know how it turns out, you will probably beat me too it, i'm probably not going to install them for about a month.
Next week, I'm swapping out the 3.42s for 4.10s also while it was up in the air I was doing the springs as well. I am doing it with the help of one of the GM techs at my job, I get him free Nascar tickets, so he helps me out in the shop. The springs are cheap enough to get a good stance with out a whole lot a sacrafice in ride quality. I know it will ride better than my AI Bird, set up for road course with 1000lb springs in the front w/weight jackers but I don't drive it that much anyway......
Old 02-16-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Decarbons poorly do the job of damping a stock spring, you think it's gonna dampin increased spring rate??? .....NOPE!
Old 02-16-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya, your car will ride a lot worse. Should be hitting the bump stops a bit more too. Its your call. Your not going to hurt anything by just running the springs. Id save up and do shocks / springs all at once though.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Surely it couldn't ride worse than stock?
Why wouldn't it ride worse than stock??? You already don't like the way it rides right now, and thats the because of the shocks. Then you want to put more strain on them by lessening the suspension travel, but expect the car to ride the same???
Thats like being able to squat 300lbs max, then thinking you can squat 400lbs, and go further down with the weight and still be ok.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Even though the fact decarbons are not my choice they are working fine and my car has a very easy 30.000 miles on it so I'll would take my chances with the stock decarbons. Don't know how many miles are on
yours slikrider20? may be something to think about if there life expectancy is up.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a good stance while improving the handling of the car, then yes its going to cost some money. A lot of people do run the prokit and think its fine. Hell I run the sportlines and I only drive my car to shows, but even after some time I'm planning on upgrading everything just because the ride is just not good. So I'd hate to see anyone running that on a daily car.

The BMR or Hotchkis springs are probably the only one's I'd recommend with the stock shocks on a daily driver. Granted the shocks will still be the weak link, you should be less prone to hitting the bump stops with those.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

I may look into some of the BMR or hotchkis springs...the car has about 65,000 miles on it. To be honest if i'm not hurting anything i really don't care how it rides, just want it to look better on the outside for now.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I may look into some of the BMR or hotchkis springs...the car has about 65,000 miles on it. To be honest if i'm not hurting anything i really don't care how it rides, just want it to look better on the outside for now.
Well you may be hurting your back , I know because of my sportlines with stock shocks (And I only have about 25,000miles). You have 65,000 so they are gonna be worn down.

A lot of people have also used Bilstein shocks for replacements. They are much better then stock and will help the ride, however they are not meant for lowered cars like the Koni's shocks. But they can be had for $350-400.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Prokit with KYB shocks. The shocks suck and I wish I would have saved and got the Konis...now I gotta save up again for the Konis.

IMO...try a spring that will drop you about an inch or so, th Prokit dropped my WS6 1 1/4 in front and about 2" in the rear. It looks sweet but a little rough to drive, epecialy over speed bumps. I have heard great things about the Strano springs.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
I have the Prokit with KYB shocks. The shocks suck and I wish I would have saved and got the Konis...now I gotta save up again for the Konis.
Exactly... glad i went with the Konis first. KYBs are a last resort, and not a great one.