Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Needing a brake upgrade, pads worn, rear rotors possibly warped

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing a brake upgrade, pads worn, rear rotors possibly warped

Well I have waited apparently too long, and the braking of my vehicle is starting to become impaired. All of my pads are worn, close to the indicators, and the rear is tending to vibrate under slightly hard braking. I am not sure if this was caused either by the gear oil that has been leaking from the ends my rear which was installed last spring(about the time this started happening, last summer) or cause I had O'reilly turn my power slot rotors, although that was 3 years ago. Then there's my calipers, the previous owner painted them red, well after driving the car for neither five years, they are pretty much pink. I am not sure how much I want to paint them; personally I would be happy with them unpainted/bare metal.

I have used performance fiction pads in the past. But apparently they do not make them for the rear, (anymore?) I really do not want to spend more than 500 or 600 hundred. And I would like to get new pads all around and probably 4 new rotors. The Front Performance Fiction pads are about 40 dollars so I have a good amount left to my budget.

Any advice would be appreciated. Also I see pictures of 2 piece rotors, from Brembo, Baer, etc.... are they expensive, any advantage? My current rotors are Power Slot so they are slotted, any advantage to getting slotted rotors again based on my pad choice of semi-metallic?
Old 02-16-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brembo blanks and Hawks Pads. That is what I am going to after mine go out.

Bill
Old 02-16-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

i just ordered 4 drilled and slotted rotors and front and rear hawk pad from bsi brakes for $299. im not sure how long that special will run though. its regularly around $500 or something is what they say. if the sale goes out. theres always the ws6store drilled and slotted rotors for $169 for all 4. well good luck man.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

i just ordered 4 drilled and slotted rotors and front and rear hawk pad from bsi brakes for $299. im not sure how long that special will run though. its regularly around $500 or something is what they say. if the sale goes out. theres always the ws6store drilled and slotted rotors for $169 for all 4. well good luck man.
I saw that thread about bsi rotors and hawk pads for 299. So what is actually so great about the bsi rotors?

and what materials are hawk pads made from?

Brembo blanks and Hawks Pads. That is what I am going to after mine go out.
just guessing but are the brembo blanks a high quality rotor? are the 2 piece rotors worth the investment? or is my budget too low?

Finally what am I looking at to remove the paint from my calipers? Will I have to take the caliper apart? and what would be the best solvent will remove caliper paint?
Old 02-16-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im running Duralast rotors from autozone. Auto-xed them a few times and they didn't warp like my stock ones did.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I got a smashing deal on my setup - probably nothing stellar, but for $180 can't complain. All four rotors (Powerstop slotted) and all ceramic pads (Evolution pro-stop IIRC). Not bad for a complete brake job, even if they aren't as good as brembo can't complain about the price and they sure seem to work pretty well too.

Won an ebay auction
Old 02-16-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

I am thinking I will go with Brembo blank rotors after doing more reading. And I like performance friction pads but I still need a semi metallic rear pad then; or I can go hawk pads, not sure if I want hps or hp+, I guess whichever will stop better not sure??? Also I was thinking about doing the C5 front brake upgrade, would this be a good option, worth the extra money, if I retained the Fbody caliper like the LG kit offers?

Furthermore anyone know what the best process will be for removing aftermarket caliper paint?

Where's a good place to purchase hawk pads? Brembo blanks(Firebird and Corvette)?