Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

suspention ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default suspention ?

i have a couple questions. im looking to go to a street strip set up and dont really know what to put on my car. i really dont have a lot of money to spend but i know i need to replace my shock (chicago winters arent the greatest on suspentions). what else should i replace and what brand type should i use. and how much should i be loking to spend.
oh and the car is daily driven so nothing to harsh i still want to be able to take corners good.
thanks, justin
Old 02-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Launching!

i got vogtland springs, and i just switched out my agx shocks for a set of konis. definitely go with konis. as for the springs im acceptably happy with them, but i think ill switch to stranos in a bit just to see a little more improvement
Old 02-20-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you are giong to do as much strip as street QA1 shocks stock springs and rear lower control arms.As for the price of konis $800 ,lca $90+,QA1 $600. All that is a rough estimate on price.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I would recommend QA1 shocks, LCAs, PHB, and maybe a TA.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

all that stuff is great but alittle out of my price range are there any cheaper brands?
Old 02-24-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, from the information stated so far:

1. Street/strip setup.
2. Not quite enough funds.
3. Need to replace shocks.
4. Daily driver but also want to corner well.

Now for my 2 cents:

1. Number 1 and number 4 are going to be compromised since there is only so much you can do to optimise your times and the strip and still be able to corner well. This sticky sums it up pretty well: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/643950-suspension-mods-real-world.html

Now that that's stated, Here's the next one:

2. You've stated you don't have the funds for most of the items suggested. While you should be aware that some of the bad news is that you pretty much get what you pay for, the good news is that to satisfy the short term needs shouldn't cost you too much and you shouldn't have to replace a bunch of parts and/or tear down much of your car, yet.

3. You say you need shocks. That's the area you really need to decide how much you're going to sacrifice. If I had to do it all over again, I would start with some good shocks with the stock springs at the moment. Yeah, you might want to just cut your labour costs by installing springs and shocks at the same time, but at the same rate, you don't have a lot of money to spend and also probably haven't realised what you need for your goals, if your goals are realistic. With that stated, start with...

Shocks. Quality shocks.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

thanks for the advice foxxtron any ideas on a good pair of shocks?
Old 02-25-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

As a matter of fact, I do. I know this is going to hurt, but I'd say Koni SA's. It will be these shocks that will really better manage the handling capabilities of the 4th Gen F-body. For the money, there's really no better deal. It also doesn't hurt that you can use stock springs at stock ride height, or use stock springs at a slightly lowered height without modifying the spring itself (meaning no cutting or any other type of hack mod). If there is one mod you can benefit from for the money, it's this. You'll also discover that once you have shock rebound adjustment, you can easily adjust for several different settings easily.

Really, your best bet is also to talk to Sam Strano about what you want to do, and see what he or his family (they all run their own business) can advise you on.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:12 AM
11 Second Club

how do i get a hold of sam strano. i really appreciate the help.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

www.stranoparts.com

You can catch him on and around here quite a bit, but he encourages phone calls to make sure that he can get you the product(s) you specifically desire.