Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

stock parts alignment ? and shock suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default stock parts alignment ? and shock suggestions

my car has the eibach sportline springs on it. when i bought it i noticed the outer edges of the front tires were wearing prematurely..
A. that needed to be fixed and
B. if the outer edges were wearing my handling wasnt as good as it could be - as per alignment settings at least

so i just left the alignment shop, and after cleaning the (fair amount of) grease from my interior and looking at the car more closely, it most certainly looks like i got more than -1 degree camber, which is what i asked for. my question is, is that possible with stock adjustments only? the guy said he pretty much let em all the way out and they fell at -1 degree.. after i found the grease inside i left immediately after paying the nice old lady at the front desk, before i kicked that dude in the nuts and made him eat the grass growing out front... yes i have a previous history of anger issues, and unfortunately i can impose my will on most who get in my way - but thats another story, and i've learned it best to just leave when i feel the urge to act all incredible hulk and whatnot. it really doesnt prove or help much, in spite of the temptation. he also drug the front bumper on an incline because he was too lazy to slow down, and drove my freshly detailed love through the only puddle in the parking lot.. to quantify my frustration a little more.

back on point - i had a 96 mystic cobra with a full MM bolt on suspension setup with coilovers and all that, sans torque arm, and i was running -1.5 degree camber on the street and it did well, my tires wore just fine IMO (i pushed the car fairly frequently) but i never really noticed as drastic of a slant on the front wheels? you think maybe i should bring the camaro somewhere else and just pay them to remeasure it for me? i really dont wanan go back where i got all the grease from at this point.. they did a great job on the cobra 2 years ago but they are mustang people.. then again maybe he was havin a bad week and just wanted someone to share it with... who knows.

and while im here, i still have the factory de carbon's and as compared to the cobra, the F body rides like ****. i had tokico illumina's first and later D specs, and they rode wonderfully considering my spring rates. and all i ever heard about is how wonderful the F body suspension is, so what im sayin is.. all you guys who have done it right and know what your doin.. how do i set up my F body suspension to be as sweet as i had hoped? without spending a ton of cash of course, this is budget minded as always... so what are good bang for the buck shocks? (subframes and BMR control arms are on the way already)

car is automatic and will see the dragstrip prolly 4-5 times a year, but mainly will be built for street enjoyment.

sorry so long, and thanks for any help/suggestions in advance.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Konis. There is unfortunately not a decent budget shock out there. Bigger sways will help too if your into corner carving. Since you are gonna be there anyway changing shocks I would look at replacing the Sportlines with a good linear rate spring while I was at it.