Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

2001 1500 truck brake dragging

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Tough Mudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2001 1500 truck brake dragging

I changed out the rear pads on my Father-in-law's truck. I did all the standard stuff. Pulled the caliper off, pulled out the old pads, looked at the rotors and pads. Rotor looked fine. Pads still had a good bit of meat left on them. I changed them because he has 70+K on the vehicle.

Using a clamp, I pushed the piston back in with the bleeder open, catching the fluid with a towel. Sprayed a light coat of the no squeal stuff on the back, greased up the slides, pulled out the pieces of the caliper and greased them too.

the driver's side gets hot like the pads are dragging. Any suggestions? I've changed brakes on probably 30 vehicles. No idea what is going on.

Thanks in advance for any advice that's not "stop trying to kill your Father-in-law by sabotaging his brakes."
Old 03-11-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you did everything right. I'd take it apart again and see what's up. Has to be a reason for the overheating.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Tough Mudder

I thought I did everything right too. Pulled it apart, put it back together and it's still heating up. Now he and the truck are 2 hours away.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like a bad rubber brake hose.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Caliper could be hanging. check you caliper slides and greese if needed.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:22 AM
Tough Mudder

It is fixed. The fix was to put on a new caliper. It was not cost effective to rebuild the slave cylinder in the caliper and the replacement unit avoids the problem that likely caused the problem.

Donald (Mechanic) said that the original piston or cup in the caliper is a kind of bakelite plastic. At one time it was very common to see them hang up when the brakes were rebuilt and the cup or piston was near fully compressed. The quick answer is that this left caliper just happened to hang. The new one has a metal cup/piston and should not hang.

In the for what it is worth category Donald did ask how we compressed it. The reason he asked is because sometime when the c-clamp is simply run down the center of the cup it will cause a bit of a misalignment of the cup and this causes this cheap bakelite cup to warp a tiny bit, score and hang up. Of course, to compress the cup, he recommended a c-clamp applied to the old pad that is resting on the top of the cup. This arrangement is really easy if the pad has a spring clip that fits into the cup of the piston thus avoiding the need for a third of fourth hand.

So, we really did nothing wrong. **** just sometimes happens.