Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

01 WS6 suspension stuff

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008 | 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default 01 WS6 suspension stuff

Ok, I've got an 01 WS6 T/A and I wanted to do a couple things this summer, like maybe rear lower control arms, panhard bar, subframe connectors, and a shock tower brace. Does anyone know what comes standard on the WS6 package? I want to make sure that what I buy is going to be an upgrade, ya know? Thanks.
Old 03-19-2008 | 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

What are you looking to do with the car (handling or drag racing?).
The only thing that wouldn't be an upgrade would be a 32mm front swaybar because WS6's come with those stock. Everything else you find(aftermarket) will effect performance in one way or another.
Old 03-19-2008 | 12:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

A WS6 isn't really any different from any other F-body. You got the bigger wheels, some different rear shocks, and a 32mm front swaybar. That's pretty much it vs. a "regular" F-body in the suspension department.

I'd be happy to help you with a setup for your car, and I'm VERY big on not replacing good workable parts "just because". I can't really make a recommendation online since I don't know what you are thinking, but more specifically what you'd like to change about how the car drives. If you think about these things and can kind of get a good handle on what you want the car to do vs. what it does now we can put together any number of parts combinations for you, and just for you--to work best on your car, not some other Joe with a username and password.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-19-2008 | 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

^Yes, call this guy, he knows a thing or two about suspension
Old 03-19-2008 | 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I drag raced my car last year, but I'm building a 69 Camaro drag car with my dad this year to race, so the T/A will not see the track very often anymore. I have no problems with the car the way it is, I just figured if I could make it handle even better, why not?
Old 03-19-2008 | 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh yeah, and I'm only interested in bolt-on stuff. I'd rather not weld on this car.
Old 03-19-2008 | 12:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

No need to weld anything... But in all honesty, you need to kind of take stock in what you'd like to change about the car. You say you like it, but if it can handle "better" you'll do it. Well, folks idea of handling varies. I'm not trying nit-pick here, I'm trying to get you to assess the car and what you are after so we can put the right parts on.

Again, I'm happy to help. I don't sell parts. I do setups, but a good setup has to have a good jumping off point and a direction to go. I'd be easy for me to say A, B, and C. But aside from telling you better shocks are the first key I can't do much else at this point until we can talk it over.
Old 03-19-2008 | 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I definitely like the idea of reducing body roll. Can you give me and idea of what some parts may do the change the ride in terms of cornering and overall ride stiffness? Thanks
Old 03-19-2008 | 01:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Again, not really much I can tell you by e-mail. Shocks, springs and bars all effect body roll by themselves, and even more so together. Shocks effect the speed of it and if you contorl the rate better it fools many into thinking the car rolls less. The spring and bars both lessen the roll, bars do more for roll control than springs do and don't really change the ride much at all. Springs do change the ride (as do shocks), and of course lower the Cg while effecting roll and pitch amounts.

You ask about ride stiffness. That's actually the shocks not damping the car more than the springs being "too soft". Can you change springs? Sure? Should you? Maybe... can't say right now.
Old 03-19-2008 | 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, well I think I'd like to do springs and shocks, but I think I'll probably wait a while for those. For now I think the bars and such will make me happy. It's probably going to be at least a month or two before any of this gets done, though. I appreciate all your advice and maybe I'll give you a call when I'm ready to buy things. Do you have any special LS1tech.com discounts?

Quick Reply: 01 WS6 suspension stuff