Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

how difficult is it to install springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 06:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how difficult is it to install springs

Ive got the sportline kit now and im thinking of putting bmr springs in the rear, just wondering how hard is it to install springs, and the tools i need. Or would it be better to get it done at a shop
Old 03-22-2008, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

its very easy. just need basic tools....sockets, wrenches, a ratchet wrench is very helpful. i think its 10mm. jack, jack stands. dont waste your money on getting it done.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:11 AM
TECH Regular

Do it yourself. trust me its not that bad to do. besides the money you'd spend on having a shop do the work could go towards those shiny red sway bars. how much of a drop do you have now? i have a 1.5 rear and a 1.75 front and i wanna lift my front back up about 3/4 of an inch. before and after pics to
Old 03-22-2008, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Like these guys said piece of cake, just don't forget to get it re-aligned when you are finished.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys it will be awhile before i can do it, im in iraq right now ill be home in may just ordering parts now so theyll be there for me. Dont know one the drop for sure but i have another thread with some pics rear suspension ? is the title thanks for the help
Old 03-22-2008, 08:31 PM
12 Second Club

Are you thinking about just replacing the rears only? if so, you DONT need any tools besides a jack. you jack the body up, let the rear end fall down (one side at a time is fine) then take the springs out with your hands.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom's_03SVT
Like these guys said piece of cake, just don't forget to get it re-aligned when you are finished.
if he's just doing the rear springs, he shouldn't need realignment....but if he's doing both front/rear, then yes, a realigment is definitely needed afterwards
Old 03-22-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zach_ws6
Are you thinking about just replacing the rears only? if so, you DONT need any tools besides a jack. you jack the body up, let the rear end fall down (one side at a time is fine) then take the springs out with your hands.
Is it really that simple? I was thinking of doing my rears tomorrow, but the Haynes books says: jack up, put in the jackstands at the jacking points, support the axle with a jackstand, (suggests chaining the spring to axle to prevent flying out), disconnect shock absorber from axle mount, then lowering floorjack to relieve pressure on spring. Remove spring.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup its that easy. however if it is your first time to do this set a whole day aside to do it.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Teching In

cool thanks for the help and advice

Troy
Old 03-23-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I gave the rears a shot today, but couldn't get the axle dropped enough to pull the spring when I jacked one side up. I tried to unbolt the shock to drop the axle furhter but I couldn't get the nut off the lower shock mount so I'll have to figure out how to loosen it. Will the axle drop enough if I jack both sides up?
Old 03-23-2008, 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Qcon
I gave the rears a shot today, but couldn't get the axle dropped enough to pull the spring when I jacked one side up. I tried to unbolt the shock to drop the axle furhter but I couldn't get the nut off the lower shock mount so I'll have to figure out how to loosen it. Will the axle drop enough if I jack both sides up?
use a little muscle , jack up the car enough to the point of where your tire will almost come off the ground then you should be good to go. there is a little lip on the axle you have to get the spring above, so compressing the spring manually is necessary.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Can you put the car on jackstands? Get the rear end supported before the control arms so that the arms can drop down freely. Then disconnect the rear swaybar endlinks, and the top of the shocks. You should be able to drop the axle down using the jack.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Actually if Sportlines, maybe the springs will drop right out without removing the shock. Disconnect those swaybar endlinks though, it might allow you to get a little more drop. I forgot to disconnect them when I did mine the normal way, and it happens to prevent the axle from coming down... doh
Old 03-24-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Qcon
disconnect the swaybar. same for the front if you do them. good time to upgrade to poly bushings. get some from energy suspension.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome, thanks. I'll have to wait another couple weekends before I can try again. Thanks for the advice, though!