Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How well do rear coil spring air bags work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 02:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How well do rear coil spring air bags work?

Are they an effective traction aid? I don't know squat about them. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: How well do rear coil spring air bags work?

Air bags can work very well. I'd try this one in the drag racing section for more response, but it is a good way to "go straight" (most of use here turn corners.....) and it will help you hook up.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks again Trackbird! I will take your advice & post this in the drag section.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The air bags are mostly to help straighten up the car at launch. A hard launch (1.60 and lower 60's) make the body of the car roll hard to the right. I only use one bag in the right spring at 20 psi. The adjustable shocks and a "drag" rear sway bar will also work, but cost a great deal more and also effect your handling on the street. With an air bag you can drop the psi back to 2-5 psi and it will not effect the day to day handling. At lower power levels the bags will probably not give you much benefit. Once the car starts pulling right on launch, they help a lot.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:42 AM
11 Second Club

1madss
Thank you for your clear explanation. I guess I wouldn't benefit from them at my power level. I was thinking they would help control wheelhop, if I ever developed that problem.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

I have a passenger side air bag. I don't think it helps my lean at all or very little. I have examined my drivers side lift at launch with low pressure and high pressure in the bag. Appears to lift the same amount. The drivers side is still free to come up even though the passenger side spring is stronger in effect.

Best to get a strong anti-rear sway bar to control lean. It not only keeps the passenger side from going down but also the drivers side from coming up. Air bags do not do that.

Here's a pic of my launch. The car should be level for maximum traction and best 60'. I also have a 21mm 1LE anti-rear sway bar. I need stronger.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/440/camaro_1.607_60.jpg

Quick Reply: How well do rear coil spring air bags work?