Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brakes sticking

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think those pads you have installed are correct. It would only take an hour or two to swap them out with the old pads you took off to see if they are causing the issue, I suppose.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

well as my daddy always said,
"If you don’t know how its broke, drive it till you do"
don’t worry
that advise used to **** me off too! but what I got from it is, if you catch a problem before you have any good symptoms its usually tougher to find the solution. If we knew if the drivers side was wearing faster than the passengers side, or if they were dragging to the point of causing warping we would have something to go on...
its frustrating I know, but keep on top of it and let us know .
Old 04-11-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Veteran

I don't subscribe to the theory of driving a car until you figure out what is wrong. By then, you probably have done some real damage that is more costly and more time consumming to fix.

Anyway, Spock from Star Trac says it is logical for humanoids to rely on logic.

In this case, logic tells us if the "sticking" did not happen until the owner installed some different brake parts, then it is probable either the new parts or the re-installation procedures have caused the malfunction?

Check your ships' computer banks for historical information about the malfunction and maintenance procedures you performed earlier. If it was me, I would rip the pads off, check the chatter clips, caliper dust caps, etc, and re-install the old pads or a new set from the parts store.

If the sticking that is now ocurring is on both sides, it is illogical to conclude that both brake lines have now clogged or both wheel bearings are now shot or both calipers went bad as a result of the current work. Rather, it is more logical to conclude that the used pads from another car that were recently installed were the wrong pads, the chatter clips got bent during re-installation or you tore the caliper piston dust shields from not compressing the piston enough. (I've done hundreds of brake jobs and I did this recently and it caused a sticking issue)

Beam me up Scottie...
Old 04-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive pulled them apart and checked the clips and slide pins...and greased both with no change i nthe problem...
im going to get some new pads adns ee if it changed it...it has to be it...they arent installed wrong from what i can tell...they look fine even wear ect...
Old 04-11-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
I don't subscribe to the theory of driving a car until you figure out what is wrong. By then, you probably have done some real damage that is more costly and more time consumming to fix.
#1 If you jump the gun replacing stuff without knowing your going to end up replacing double what you would later. Some times wait and see is the best rout.
#2 TV isn’t real life, sorry Id rather take advise from a 50 year + auto mechanic than a fictional character on TV. Plus star wars kicks star treks ***!
#3 I was the one that theorized that he put new pads on when he did the ls1 caliper swap. He just said that he used used pads. So my theory of oversized pads is out the window
Originally Posted by daniel6718
ive pulled them apart and checked the clips and slide pins...and greased both with no change i nthe problem...
im going to get some new pads adns ee if it changed it...it has to be it...they arent installed wrong from what i can tell...they look fine even wear ect...
let us know if it helps..
I would love to see closure out of this
Old 05-25-2009, 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

did u ever figure out the issue
Old 02-11-2021, 03:44 AM
Teching In

hey read ur profile and saw u had ported ls6 heads and a cam so i wanted to know what ur rwhp is

Quick Reply: brakes sticking