Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Does anyone make aftermarket steering linkage?

Old 04-10-2008, 05:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Does anyone make aftermarket steering linkage?

Long story short with my turbo kit the steering linkage was rubbing the header. After a little while it melted the plastic in the linkage and the steering is very sloppy.

I fixed the rubbing issue by installing washers on the bottom of the motor mount pedistal. But now i need a new linkage that can take alot of heat. Its not hitting any more but it still gets very hot.

Does any company make a linkage that does not use anything that can melt.

Alex
Old 04-11-2008, 06:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that Borgeson, the company that makes high quality u-joints, makes some steering shafts/kits. You might also try ididit or Flaming River. They make steering column components.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:13 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks leadfoot4,im going to call these companies to see if they can custom make me one. I wouldnt imagine it would be that hard. I could even send mine out there for them to see. I just need one with nothing that can melt and even alittle thinner for clearance purposes would be nice.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, if you put 3 or 4 joints in there, you should be able to pull it away from the turbo stuff.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:41 AM
10 Second Club

Do you mean 3-4 joints in the actual linkage?
Old 04-11-2008, 08:55 AM
10 Second Club

I called flaming river. They can make me one that could hold up to the heat for about $250. They said it would be about 2.25 inches of overall diameter. Does anyone know what a stock is?
Old 04-12-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
I called flaming river. They can make me one that could hold up to the heat for about $250. They said it would be about 2.25 inches of overall diameter. Does anyone know what a stock is?

I was just under the hood a few minutes ago, and remembered this post from yesterday. There are two sections of the OE column the appear to have some sort of plastic shielding on them, and these shields are about 3" in diameter. One is adjacent to the OE manifold, and I can see where a turbo and/or turbo manifold could be close there. However, I'm not positive what the overall diameter of the guts underneath, however there seems to be some sort of a coupler or collapsable part of the column there, and it's about 2" or so.

Further down the column, there's a u-joint, then another coupler to the rack. This has the other plastic shield, and the shield is also around 3" OD.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does anyone make aftermarket steering linkage?