Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Any good aftermarket strut mounts??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drill out the threaded inserts and use a nut and bolt.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Drill out the threaded inserts and use a nut and bolt.
Not sure what you're saying. I'm talking about the rubber upper shock mounts and isolator. I think you're referring to the lower mounts.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
Not sure what you're saying. I'm talking about the rubber upper shock mounts and isolator. I think you're referring to the lower mounts.
2 studs and 2 bolts that go through the shock tower under the hood? One on each side ... partially hidden by the master cylinder?
Old 05-14-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, that's the part. When I took it to a shop to get the rusted nut off (which requires the spring to be compressed) the rubber mount and the isolator got messed up. In hindsight, I should have just rented a spring compressor and took my time with a rotary tool to get the nut off. Now I've got to get the mount/isolator because they used heat to get the nut off and melted the rubber.

I did a search and it seems some people have had problems with the Monroe or Gabriel replacement, but the Moog seems to work with some people. The stock part is expensive as hell, so I'm trying to see if the Monroe/Gabriel part fits, if the Moog part fits better, or if I should just pony up for the dealer part. I'd rather just spend the money and not have any issues.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the Moog mounts on my car. One of them actually had the GM number stamped into it. I did notice that the studs were a little shorter on the passanger side mount. But they both went on with no problem and fit well.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

The issues I read mostly are with the threaded inserts spinning inside the mount when they attempt to torque the bolts.

And I'm saying drill out the threads of the insert and use a good quality nut and bolt in place of the threaded insert.

The mount is fine. The attachment is less than desirable. I've had to do this a couple times on customer cars.

Last edited by mitchntx; 05-15-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mitchntx
The issues I read mostly are with the threaded inserts spinning inside the mount when they attempt to torque the bolts.

And I'm saying drill out the threads of the insert and use a good quality nut and bolt in place of the threaded insert.

The mount is fine. The attachment is less than desirable.
Gotcha. If that's the only problem, it's no big deal, especially since the cheapest OEM part I've found was almost $150 per side.

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nonsense, RockAuto sells ACDelco shock mounts for $70.79/ea.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Nonsense, RockAuto sells ACDelco shock mounts for $70.79/ea.
You're right, I just checked on their site and they have them, but after driving across town I was able to find the Moog parts for $81 - K6516 and K6517 - at Advance. RockAuto has the same parts for only $56, but I'm going to just bite the bullet and stick with the ones I bought - at least I'll have everything back together by tomorrow night.

FWIW, the Moog seem more like the stock part than the Monroe/Gabriel part, which are going back to Auto Zone tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

the 1s i got from auto zone were crap..........still have em.......brand new
Old 05-16-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
the 1s i got from auto zone were crap..........still have em.......brand new
Just curious, why were they crap? I took mine back to AZ and got Moogs from Advance but when I compare the two, only difference I could tell was that the AZ (Gabriels) had longer nut inserts than the Moogs.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Teching In

If people can wait or is willing to order from online. www.rockauto.com Chevrolet>2000>Camaro SS>Suspension>Strut Mounts> and they have the ACDelco strut mounts (L/R) for $70.99/ea.

ACDELCO Part # 501148-LH
ACDELCO Part # 501149-RH

EDIT, just noticed someone posted the same thing. DOH
Old 03-19-2012, 10:41 PM

I just ordered and tried the ACDelco mounts from RockAuto.com. They were $70 each. WARNING....THEY SUCK BIG TIME.

1.) For starters, they are not nearly as beefy as the originals on my '93 camaro. And the rubber just looks weak and ill formed.
2.) Secondly, the nuts they provided DO NOT FIT on their own studs, and it took an act of congress to thread them on. Obviously one is metric and one is standard.. I guess. The original nuts to not thread on either.
3.) The studs are not parallel to each other. The kinda are at weird angles.
4.) Fourth and most important... the four attachment nuts/bolts are ever so slightly off... by maybe an 1/8 of an inch. You CANNOT get all four nuts/bolts started.

After screwing around with them (after mounting on the shocks of course) I am just going to toss them. What a waste of money and time. This is the junkiest part I've ever seen. I thought that ACDelco usually stood for quality parts.

You guys think I should go with the Napa or the OEM at this point?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:00 AM
Launching!

kukcamaro, that's surprising to hear. I've been trying to order those same ACDelco mounts from RockAuto but my credit card has been giving me problems. I guess you just saved me some money.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

Just curious, why were they crap? I took mine back to AZ and got Moogs from Advance but when I compare the two, only difference I could tell was that the AZ (Gabriels) had longer nut inserts than the Moogs.
the threaded inserts did not line up with the body holes.......guess i should have drilled them out and used bolts........still have em........4 sale reel cheap
Old 03-20-2012, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

They appear similar but wait until you try to actually use them...

I'm sticking with Moog first, then OEM AC Delco. Why Moog first you ask? Because they include standard bolts not those two retarded torx bolts on the driver side.
The following users liked this post:
Bengtson95 (05-27-2020)
Old 03-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Teching In

I ordered the ACdelco's off amazon for 50$ a piece (Thanks for linking in other thread), are they really that bad?
Old 03-21-2012, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

Just spend money on the GM ones.

I bought Monroe for my install and when I was tightening the nuts on the top, the stud came off from the rubber mount. I went back and got a new one and tried it again but the same thing happened.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:08 AM

Anemonerium, yes, the cheap AC Delcos really are that bad. Cancel your order if you can, because for if your experience is anything like mine, its money down the drain.

I went to the dealer today to see about getting OEM mounts. He explained their are two types of ACDelcos... the "best" quality ones ($209 each which I believe are the like the original stock ones, and "good" quality (about $70 each which I believe are the same as the total crap ACDelcos that I purchased from RockAuto.com).

The "best" quality ones are at least a week away all the way in Michigan and I couldn't wait that long. So I got a set of Moogs localy. The Moogs fit perfectly and seem much higher quality than the $70 ACDelcos. We'll see how long they last, but I think they will be fine.

Last edited by kukcamaro; 03-21-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:09 AM

I didn't have any issues with the studs or insert stripping out on the Moogs. I did chase the inserts with a tap before installing as they had rubber overflow bonded to the interior of the threads...

Quick Reply: Any good aftermarket strut mounts??