Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

A slightly different Pinion Angle question..

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 06:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A slightly different Pinion Angle question..

I isntalled a BMR torque arm, but I cannot get the pinion angle right. The thing is, the rear needs to be pointing slightly downward in order for it to have a negative angle, but mine does not go that far. It hits about 0 degrees (coming from a positive angle) and then when I try to crank it further the adjuster comes off the torque arm because I spun it to far. Can you put the torque arm too far in to the bushing attached to the tranny? Maybe I have my angles backwards...

Here's my question, after the pinion angle is set, should the rear be facing slightly upward toward the car or slightly downward toward the ground?

My other question is, if, where the torque arm mounts to the rear end, is supposed to have the negative angle, and the driveshaft has the positive angle, that means the rear end should be pointing slightly down and the driveshaft should run upward from the rear end to the tranny, correct?
Old 04-21-2008, 07:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-21-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can't adjust the lower rod end enough to get the angle you want, you might have to reset the upper rod end to change the overall angle of the torque arm, with respect to the axle itself.

I wrestled with this for a while myself, before I got it right. It seems like such a simple adjustment to make, and it is, however you have to know the correct method, which took me a while to find.

If you can, go to the BMR website, and look up the torque arms. There is an instuctional video contained there. It took me a little digging, but eventually I found it.

You're not using the ground as a reference point, although you might think so. You're actually indexing the angle of the tranny output shaft to the pinion shaft of the rear end. I used a Sears digital carpenter's level, which made it easier.

As I said, I dinked around for quite a while before I found the BMR video, and once I used the method described there, I was good to go in no time. The vibration that I originally thought was engine related disappeared immediately.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:28 AM
Teching In

I found the video about setting the pinion angle, but it just shows exactly what the dirictions say...it doesnt show much of anything about the adjustable ends and such. I guess I need to pull the torque arm out of the bushing a little so that I can shorter the rod ends...
Old 04-21-2008, 09:36 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Give me a all here at the office if you are still having issues setting the pinion angle, I am sure we can get it figured out

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302

Quick Reply: A slightly different Pinion Angle question..