Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Drove for 50 miles or so with broken panhard bar...did i do any damage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Self-Admitted Scammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Drove for 50 miles or so with broken panhard bar...did i do any damage?

Looks like the last shop i went to didnt tighten the bolts good enough, but i was driving today and taking a corner I felt this loud *** rubbing noise. Turns out the panhard was hanging down on the left and the rear was wobbling side by side every time I swoop the steering wheel.

I drove about 60 miles like this...to get home. Taking corners and what not, with that shitty *** rubbing sound. What is the most damage I couldve done? It looks like the wheel wells are scraped to all hell. I hope thats all it did.

Also what are the bolt sizes for those things? I dont think the rod is broken, i just need another bolt. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2008, 06:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately, the bolt is a "stepped" deal, where one end is larger diameter than the other. I think the only place you'll find one is at a GM dealer.

Hope you didn't bend up the frame tabs too badly where the LCAs bolt up, as this is where the back and forth action of the axle was pivoting.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Self-Admitted Scammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there anything else that could be damaged from that happening? This is bullshit. I will take a picture of it.

Also are you sure I cant get that bolt from a hardware store?
Old 04-24-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ls2pontiac
Is there anything else that could be damaged from that happening? This is bullshit. I will take a picture of it.

Also are you sure I cant get that bolt from a hardware store?
If your local hardware store carries "grade 8" metric bolts, you could substitute. However, you'll have to drill out one of the ends, either at the frame or the axle mount, to accomodate the end that won't be stepped.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you ran the hell out of the car, the only thing that could go wrong is the tires/wheels rubbing the fender lips.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look for cuts on the sidewalls of the tire, pay special attention to the inside sidewalls (under the car).

Quick Reply: Drove for 50 miles or so with broken panhard bar...did i do any damage?