Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

More pistons on my caliper means bigger rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 06:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More pistons on my caliper means bigger rotors?

I am talking about a 2005 Pontiac GTO. Stock brakes are a 4 piston front and a 2 piston rear. I would like to get bigger calipers, but I do not want to change the stock rotor size (that much at least). I am curious if I can do this or not. I want a 6 piston caliper in the front and a 4 piston caliper in the back, and at least go with a 4 front and 4 rear. Due to my 15" drag wheels I cant go with a larger diameter brake rotor.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

increasing the number of pistons without increasing rotor size is not going to help your performance in a way where it would be worth paying for.

You need more pad contact area to accompany more force in order to gain performance. On top of this, when you increase to a larger rotor you incread the ability to disapate heat, which is good.

Also, In general, you want much more braking power in the front than in the rear. You want to lock up your fronts before you come close to locking the rears.

You are probably better off with just upgrading the front to a bigger caliper/rotor and leaving the rear stock if you want to be able to use a drag wheel..
Old 04-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ThumperNC24
increasing the number of pistons without increasing rotor size is not going to help your performance in a way where it would be worth paying for.

You need more pad contact area to accompany more force in order to gain performance. On top of this, when you increase to a larger rotor you incread the ability to disapate heat, which is good.

Also, In general, you want much more braking power in the front than in the rear. You want to lock up your fronts before you come close to locking the rears.

You are probably better off with just upgrading the front to a bigger caliper/rotor and leaving the rear stock if you want to be able to use a drag wheel..
Same conclusion I am coming to. I just need to make sure however bigger I go in the front it will fit the 15x4 skinny.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Yea I am unsure if you can go bigger and still clear the wheels
Old 04-28-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karthalin
Same conclusion I am coming to. I just need to make sure however bigger I go in the front it will fit the 15x4 skinny.
I don't think you will be able to go any bigger and fit a 15" wheel.

if you have the money, you can get lightweight racing 17" or 18" wheels and fit some big brakes, but lightweight wheels that big are going to run some serious money.

They also probably won't be as light as the 15x4s because they are obvisouly going to take wider tires.