Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Small problem please read brake guru's

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Small problem please read brake guru's

Ok so I did a ls1 style brake conversion this weekend using an ls1 set of spindles, calipers, pads and rotors. During the swap I had to change my ball joints, no problem there. The problem is, I never got the mounting bolts for the caliper bracket to mount to the spindle. It's just 2 bolts for each side. I went to my local Ace Hardware and just picked up 2 bolts that fit the thread and were long enough. I tightened them down, but they keep seem to be loosening up.

My question is, where the hell do I get these bolts and why are the bolts I have installed slipping? When they are tightened down, the brackets don't budge, but after braking for a while they loosen up.

Any help would be great.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd make sure you first are using a good enough grade bolt. There might be a strength requirement as far as those bolts go. If those bolts break, you have a problem
Old 04-28-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those things have a habbit of doing that. I've read several posts of guys having that problem. Are you using zinc coated bolts (shiny)? If you are that might be your problem. That coating acts almost as a lubricant. I put ls1 brakes on my third gen and A LOT of people had that problem when using everyday hardware. Just make sure you use a good flange head bolt or an oem one.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by fast377
Those things have a habbit of doing that. I've read several posts of guys having that problem. Are you using zinc coated bolts (shiny)? If you are that might be your problem. That coating acts almost as a lubricant. I put ls1 brakes on my third gen and A LOT of people had that problem when using everyday hardware. Just make sure you use a good flange head bolt or an oem one.
Those are exactly the bolts I'm using. Does anyone have a part number for the OEM bolt?
Old 04-28-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would just loctite those bolts, but soon, a friend of mine just lost a caliper because they worked their way loose, either that or a lock washer on it, that should solve your problem much easier then trying to find GM stuff
Old 04-28-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could also use some saftey wire...that's usually suggested on big brake kits.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the input guys. I spoke with the person who sold me the kit and he said he is sure he has the bolts in his garage.

Quick Reply: Small problem please read brake guru's