Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

torque arm poly mount and poly trans mount install

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torque arm poly mount and poly trans mount install

Well, I checked underneath my car today and found out my torque arm bushing is split. I guess that was expected after 90000 miles. I recently put it poly motor mounts and have ZERO vibrations whatsoever and no more y pipe bang, so I figured I'd try out the poly tranny mount aswell(prothane) and poly torque arm mount. I heard people notice a difference with the poly torque arm mount.

My question is, how do you replace the torque arm bushing? I searched and searched but found no answer to just replacing the bushing. Will I have to check pinion angle and all that ****?

As for the tranny mount I'm sure I can find a guide somewhere, haven't looked yet.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind that the stock torque arm bushing is split by design...right down the middle. That's the whole "clamshell" design thing...unless your bushing is split even more than that.

To replace that, you'll need to remove the stock one (duh), and grind away/drill out the rivets that hold both sides in place (the rubber is bonded to steel plates, which are riveted to the outer shell). Reinstall is as easy as sliding the poly piece in place and bolting everything back from whence it came. No adjustments necessary...it is a direct swap.

The tranny mount is even more simple...you'll most likely have dropped the transmission crossmember to get to the torque arm mount (I'd recommend it). Two more bolts, and the mount will come right out. Bolt the poly mount in place, and you're done. I wouldn't recommend the preload plate that comes with the poly tranny mount...some people that install that plate complain of vibrations in the drivetrain, and I'd guess it comes from that preload plate essentially making it a solid mount (plus it really jacks the rear of the transmission up, messing up your driveline angle). I've never run the preload plate on mine, and have NEVER had an issue, and never had any problems with extra vibrations.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

I agree I would not use the preload plate either. I went with a new gm rubber tranny mount
Old 05-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Restricted User

I just put the poly tranny mount on my car...and I am getting a noticable vibration after 2k rpms. What exactly is the preload plate? Is this vibration normal?
Old 05-01-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know the energy susp trans mount has the preload plate (throw away) and two large humps on it which i had to gring off to avoid vibrations
Old 05-05-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

i just put prothane torque arm mounts and trans mount in.

For the trans mount. I bolted the 2 bolts up to the tranny then put the crossmember back on, whats the point of the stud and nut in the middle of the trans mount????
Old 05-05-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

if you don't already have poly motor mounts, you might wanna get those too. Poly tranny mount and rubber motor mount might not be a great idea in a hard launch...
Old 05-14-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zero
I just put the ploy tyranny mount on my car...and I am getting a noticeable vibration after K Roms. What exactly is the reload plate? Is this vibration normal?
Experiencing vibrations after installing a poly transmission mount are common and well documented. I only recommend them for use under extreme use conditions.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't do the poly trans mount unless you want all sorts of center console related rattles.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and broken tail shaft
Old 05-27-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

I just have bolt ons and street tires, don't think I'll be breaking it anytime soon. Vibration is minimal.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Teching In

I just installed a poly trans mount with the plate and it feels great. The only time i feel a vibration is when im doing 80MPH or over; the center console seems to squeek, but its worth it.

What kind of torque arm do you have installed, or do you have the stock one with the poly bushings? I been looking for a tubular torque arm with poly bushings, but many say it isent worth it.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

stock with prothane poly. Should of seen stock rubber torque arm mounts, ******* shot to hell.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Teching In

haha, same here. Have you ever heard of a significant diffrence with a tubular torque arm? Or is it just a myth.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Don't know, sounds like a myth though. I've heard of short style torque arms breaking though.

Good thing to do is have a tunnel mounted torque arm so you won't break the tailshaft.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bcaputo2
haha, same here. Have you ever heard of a significant diffrence with a tubular torque arm? Or is it just a myth.
A tubular torque arm on a stock or near stock car isn't going to show much better track times then the stocker arm, only more consistency in the elapsed times. An aftermarket torque arm starts to shine when the power is increased or the launching techique is more aggressive.

We offer several different versions to meet your specific needs. The torque arms can be found here-

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodySuspension.htm

If you have any questions about our product line please feel free to ask
Old 05-28-2008, 07:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

i have poly motor, trans and TA mounts in my car, yea it's kinda loud, but it also gives you a firm feeling and isn't so rough it's unbearable...
Old 05-28-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just put a poly mount in the other day (without the preload plate) and I don't know that all the fuss is about. I really didn't notice any extra vibrations, no more than a cammed out car already has. I already had the poly motor mounts though so maybe that makes a difference.

Quick Reply: torque arm poly mount and poly trans mount install