Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What spring rate

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What spring rate

Running QA1 lowering springs on my car(on it when I bought it), fronts are rated at 315 lbs.. I always have a problem with the front end sort of floating if I hit a bump and bottoming out if it's too big a bump(that I missed). Should I be running a higher spring rate up front? Shocks are QA1, 12 ways..
Thanks!
Old 05-07-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Heh, thats what drag shocks do.
Your car is floaty because your shocks cannot damper your springs (springs naturally want to make your car "bounce", shocks are supposed to control the springs from doing this. Drag shocks on the other hand are all about weight transfer, and have little rebound control, hence the floaty, disconnected feel).
There is a way to fix this, get shocks made for handling.
A thread like this has already been made:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...45#post8344345
The OP switched to good shocks, problem solved.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Heh, thats what drag shocks do.
Your car is floaty because your shocks cannot damper your springs (springs naturally want to make your car "bounce", shocks are supposed to control the springs from doing this. Drag shocks on the other hand are all about weight transfer, and have little rebound control, hence the floaty, disconnected feel).
There is a way to fix this, get shocks made for handling.
A thread like this has already been made:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...45#post8344345
The OP switched to good shocks, problem solved.
Thanks for the info.. I'll stick with the floaty feel, like the straight line handling myself...lol
Old 05-08-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I never drove on those shocks myself but I'm guessing that they allow the front end to travel pretty free for better weight transfer. I can imagine that might be more prone to bottoming out on the front air dam that hangs down.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OIF1VET
Running QA1 lowering springs on my car(on it when I bought it), fronts are rated at 315 lbs.. I always have a problem with the front end sort of floating if I hit a bump and bottoming out if it's too big a bump(that I missed). Should I be running a higher spring rate up front? Shocks are QA1, 12 ways..
Thanks!
How firm a setting do you have the front shocks set at ? could be they are at to soft of a setting.

Lee Spicher
Old 05-08-2008, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
How firm a setting do you have the front shocks set at ? could be they are at to soft of a setting.

Lee Spicher
Well I just had them rebuilt and revalved to an "R" series.. The only thing I seem to be able to change now is rebound, compression stays constant at all settings... I thought it(compression) would also change with the rebound, but it doesn't. The higher I set the number the harder it was to pull the shaft out, to the point I couldn't pull it out no matter how hard I tried, compression stayed the same.. I called the place that rebuilt them and was told compression was speed sensitive and I wouldn't feel a diff by hand. I don't know, maybe I got screwed on the rebuild/revalving.. I'll try setting them up a couple notches and see if it makes a difference or not.. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2008, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMR Tech

Lee Spicher
Hey Lee,

I upped the fronts by 2, really changed the feel.. I guess because it's not allowing the front to come up as easy as it was before.. I'll just use the low setting for the track.. thanks!
Old 05-09-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OIF1VET
Hey Lee,

I upped the fronts by 2, really changed the feel.. I guess because it's not allowing the front to come up as easy as it was before.. I'll just use the low setting for the track.. thanks!
No problem....glad I could help

Lee Spicher