Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Fun with swaybar questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fun with swaybar questions

All right guys, here's the deal. I did a search on this and couldn't really make up my mind.

I sold my old car, it had a solid 32mm BMR front bar, and a hollow 21mm 1LE rear bar. All poly bushings and endlinks. Also had SLP Eibach/Bilstein setup. I really liked it. Now, on my new car (98 SS), it has the same SLP Eibach/Bilstein setup but with stock swaybars. I liked the BMR front bar but it was FREAKING HEAVY. It must've weighed 40-50lbs, while my stock one I could practically twirl on my finger. Is there a comparable hollow bar that I could put on? How much does a hollow 35mm bar weigh vs the solid 32mm bar and who sells them?

Thanks
Dope
Old 08-06-2003, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fun with swaybar questions

Well, the hollow bar will be only a bit less than the solid 32. Sam Strano sells them at stranoparts.com. He's a sponser for ls1.com. Personally a 35mm bar is too big for a car with springs and shocks. 32 is the largest you want to go. If you had stock springs, then I'd say go with the larger bar, but if they are lower and a stiffer rate, than the 32mm is as big as you want to get IMO. If not, the front end is going to skate and push like a FWD honda.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I liked the BMR front bar but it was FREAKING HEAVY. It must've weighed 40-50lbs
I got both the front and rear BMR bars/end links and the total shipping weight for everything was 39lbs, if you liked it on your other car it seems like you would want it on your present car? JMO

Al
Old 08-06-2003, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I'm leaning heavily towards doing the same setup again. I really liked the way it handled. Going to my new car with basically the same suspension, but with stock 32/19 swaybars, is really disappointing. The car just pushes (impossible to get even the slightest bit of oversteer unless it is throttle induced at low speed) and leans like a battleship.

I find 39lbs for both bars pretty unbelievable, I mean seriously, the front bar was a pain to hold up with one hand while I bolted it in. It was a minimum of 40lbs I'd have to say. I'm no small guy, 6'4 and 250lbs but that is a nasty bar

Dope
Old 08-21-2003, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got the Suspension Techniques 35mm/25mm swaybar kit for my 00 SS. The bars are huge and not terribly heavy, and took most of the body roll out. Great deal for the size of the bars for the price. I paid $239 + shipping from LMPerformance and go them installed for $100. Great mod IMO.
Old 08-21-2003, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Get the 1LE front swaybar. 32mm and light
Old 08-21-2003, 04:31 PM
Teching In

The Hotchkis bar is 36mm and it's pretty light,mainly because it's hollow.I bought mine four years ago off a special.It gave me some serious cornering ability.

Quick Reply: Fun with swaybar questions