Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sportline/Stock--->Strano/Koni

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008 | 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just had a box delivered that had some white springy things in it I cant wait to put them on. Actually putting them on is not the fun part.
Old 06-03-2008 | 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I have another question. Is there any trick so you can adjust the rear shocks without having to take apart the rear interior on the car? The back half of my car is destroyed at the moment. I want to put it back together but I guess I will wait till I mess with the shocks.

I thought about cutting a slit in the carpet to be able to pull it apart but I don't know.

Any idea's?

It's pre-perforated... just punch it out. I was able to get in there with no cutting tools.
Old 06-04-2008 | 03:10 AM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The carpet is meant to be cut and has small guidelines for cutting and making a door.

Really? I guess you have to pull the carpet all the way up to see it? Man I learn something new everyday.

Sam I called and left you a message. I will try and call you again today.

Thanks.

Jason
Old 06-04-2008 | 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah the shock mounts to the chassis directly behind the rear passenger seat. Before I used to assume it would be somewhere near the rear 4 inch speakers in that location, but it's a lot more to the front. You would have to pull the carpet way forward to get in there.
Old 06-05-2008 | 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

I ordered an adjustable panhard bar yesterday. Sam actually talked me out of buying parts. How many people do you know that will do that.

As always Sam I appreciate your time. I will get back with you on my brother in laws 2nd Gen.

Old 06-05-2008 | 08:35 PM
Banned

I ordered an adjustable panhard bar yesterday. Sam actually talked me out of buying parts. How many people do you know that will do that.
ONE!! and that is Mr. Sam Strano
Old 06-09-2008 | 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

I turned up the firmness on the rears. It drives a little different but I am not quite sure how to explain it. I remember Sam saying the firmer the setting the quicker that end of the car will react.

I think what I "thought" firming up the rear would keep the body from rolling. After reading some other posts I think thats more of a sway bar issue.

Sam,

After reading all of these threads that say "Stranoized" I personally think you should start selling T shirts that say,

"I got Stranoized at LS1tech.com"

I would buy one.

Oh, and do you know UMI is going to ship my PHB this week? Thanks.

Jason
Old 06-09-2008 | 01:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
Konis are the single best mod you can do to these cars. People who have them know why. First time i drove the car is couldn't get the smile off my face.
this is why i cant wait to put mu strano/konis on!! Nothing but good feeback about this combo
Old 06-17-2008 | 02:03 AM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

After driving the car for a week with the rear's set a half turn firmer the only real difference I can tell is it rides rough. The rear doesn't seem to kick out as much.

I know you can give to much throttle and make the car walk out.

I got the poly/rod APHB this week. I am going to try and put it on tomorrow.

I don't want to change to many things at once. I guess I am going to put the bar on tomorrow and drive it. After that I will soften the shocks back up.

Sam,

What would a set of sway bars add? I know you said to drive the car and find out what I don't like about it.

Only two things is I want to go into corners faster and the rear seems to walk out some.

It's like going fast in a straight line, it's never fast enough.
Old 06-17-2008 | 10:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Get the PHB on and set. Drive it again and assess again. Every change makes for different reactions.

Adding shock (stiffer) and an end will make that end react faster. You don't want the rear lazy, but also don't want it to snap to any input you give the car... that's why I don't run a LOT of rear shock. They change the response or how quickly the car rolls, pitches, etc. Bars and springs actually cut the roll and change the steady state balance of the car.

Let's not put the cart in front of the horse yet. Get the PHB on and we'll go from there.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-17-2008 | 02:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah turning the rear up just increases the rebound setting. In Konis the compression stays the same.
Old 06-17-2008 | 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been wanting this set up for sooo long, I guess I'm going to have to sell my dirtbike or 4wheeler to get the funds lol.
Old 06-18-2008 | 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Sam,

The APHB did make a big difference. The rear feels tighter going around corners. I only drove it 3 or 4 miles so far. I will do some more "testing" tonight. Thanks for talking to me this afternoon.

I took a few pictures tonight. The car is dirty. Hopefully it's not to obvious.

I am a lot happier with the car now. The suspension is finally lined out. Next will be the have the trans rebuilt. Third gear is bad and has been since I bought it.

The car did put down 328RWHP last night on a Mustang Dyno. That made me happy.

Thanks again Sam for good products and even better customer service.

Old 06-18-2008 | 08:07 PM
Launching!

Not a hijack! Just want to get my $.02 in... I finally found time to install my Strano stuff about 2 weeks ago. I went with springs, sways, Koni SA's and a double rod end PHB. It is a remarkable difference! If you're considering this for your own car I definitely recommend it. Zero regrets here!....

My car had 71k on it with original DeCarbons. It handles much more predictably and the ride has also improved quite a bit which I wasn't expecting. Just has a much more controlled feel. Props to Sam too as I had a shipping issue with Fedex. They lost the rear shocks and Sam next day aired me a different pair. Those had a damaged box when I got them and were missing the hardware. Sam also assisted me getting that straightened out. Class act!
Old 06-19-2008 | 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

mikey67,

Glad to hear you like your setup. I haven't gotten sway bars yet but will probably will in the future.

Thats awesome Sam took care of you like that. Thats how he is.
Old 06-19-2008 | 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

...I took a few pictures tonight. The car is dirty. Hopefully it's not to obvious.

I am a lot happier with the car now. The suspension is finally lined out...
Hmm...If your car is dirty, somehow you've got really good photography skills because it appears impeccably clean (especially for a red-painted car).

I also notice that the many pics of cars with Strano springs appear relatively well dropped and consistent in appearance.

AFA Vogtland (Sam's choice for spring manufacturer) is concerned, I don't know "how big their name is", but what I can say about their quality of engineering and workmanship is that they're in a league of their own. I'm using some of their "motorsports" springs on some coil-overs on an experimental racing EV that I'm collaborating on and so far they've been on for about two years, been tracked really hard, yet have retained their free spring length. The measurements have been recorded through reliable metrology methods and not by the naked eye.

Quick Reply: Sportline/Stock--->Strano/Koni