Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

rear sway bar adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rear sway bar adjustment

simply put, spohn says to do it one way and bmr says another way. how am i suppose to setup the preload on a drag bar.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The proper way is to scale the car and get your corner weights. Then set the bar neutral. If you dont have scales then I just have the driver in the car and set the bar neutral on the passenger side. Then go make a pass. If the car drives right then lengthen the passenger side. If the car goes left then shorten the passenger side.

225-343-9029
Old 05-22-2008, 07:35 AM
10 Second Club

thanks
Old 02-26-2014, 06:07 AM
Staging Lane

so are we talking about a sway bar or a drag bar I'm a little confused I want to understand because my car launches to the left by saying left I mean my rear in goes to the left every time now I can change it by putting more air in my passenger rear tireand somehow that works to where I launch straight
Old 02-26-2014, 09:36 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Basically you have to see what the car likes when it launches. If it is still twisting to the right on launch with both ends even, you need to pre-load (lengthen) the passenger side. Most cars will leave pretty level with no pre-load or very little. But every car is different, so it's going to be kind of a trial and error thing
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-26-2014, 10:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fordkilla2000
so are we talking about a sway bar or a drag bar I'm a little confused I want to understand because my car launches to the left by saying left I mean my rear in goes to the left every time now I can change it by putting more air in my passenger rear tireand somehow that works to where I launch straight

You don't want to stagger tire pressures to band-aid your launch.

A "drag bar" and a "sway bar" are essentially the same thing, one is quoted by drag racers, the other by road course/autocross type people.

Maybe a better way to put it is "anti-roll device". Your engine torque is absorbed into the chassis somewhat by springs/shocks and component and body flex. The purpose of the anti-roll device is to keep the rearend housing square with the chassis and not allow the engine torque to be absorbed quite so much. The end result is more quicker, more consistent and straight launches without having to band-aid other items.

The more power you make and the heavier the car is will require a heavier anti-roll device. You will run into different versions of anti-roll items, and the parts you purchase will need to work with your combination. There is many things that affect launch characteristics and a solid platform to work with will save you a lot of time and frustration is getting the performance you desire.

Give us a call and we will be happy to discuss what you have and your goals and get you pointed in the right direction with no bs.

Quick Reply: rear sway bar adjustment