Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

poly trans mount vibrates soooooo bad

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I just took out my ES poly tranny mount, ground off the bumps, and put it back in WITHOUT the preload plate, as some have suggested. I then reset the pinion angle, as the preload plate raises the tranny by about 1/8", and went for a test ride. It does seem smoother, and more vibration free.
I think leadfoot is on to something hear. I would bet that the ES Poly trans mount in ES configuration changes the height of the trans vs. the stock trans mount. As a result, the angle between the pinion and the driveshaft changes. Therefore the U-Joints are not in their optimum configuration which can lead to vibration issues. When I put my poly trans mount in (with the preload bumps and plate in place), I also did the BMR adjustable torque arm at the same time. So I set my pinion angle with the ES poly mount in place, and I really didn't notice an increase in vibration.

So maybe the vibration is caused by this not the "stiffness" of the poly trans mount.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have no extra vibrations from my Prothane poly mount, only a little noise when moving the car in reverse. I also have a Hurst Billet which makes noise over the stock Hurst. I do have Prothane poly motor mounts as well.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Launching!

i have a prothane and right after i put it in it vibrated horribly, but after i drove it for like 2000 miles and beat on it a little the vibrations smoothed out. it still vibrates but not nearly as bad as when i first put it in
Old 08-13-2008, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tried the ES poly trans mounts on a few cars and was horrible I always go back to stock mounts. Mybe Ill try it again without the plate and grind down the bump.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95Banshee
where are the preload bumps. and the plate. i have a vib and it gets terrable when u hit 100 the shifter starts shaking BAD!
I would bet it an unbalanced DS since your car is an LT1
Old 08-13-2008, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

whats the difference between ls1lt1 drivetrain i belive its the same trany back
how much does a stock one run
Old 08-13-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea im going with an ls1 DS soon, ive heard good things, i'd look into it if i were you, cheap and very effective
Old 08-15-2008, 01:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
FWIW, I installed a set of poly (Prothane) motor mounts, and running those virtually eliminated the vibrations I used to have because of the poly (ES) trans mount on its own!

I've heard others make this claim as well, but didn't believe it until I tried it. What I'm inclined to say is, run ALL poly, or ALL rubber. OR, just live with the vibrations from having just the poly trans mount?
I am convinced on the poly trans mount, even with poly engine mounts. Dont do the poly trans mount at all! I tried it out again while changing my TA & its just as bad as when I had the stock engine mounts in. I thought something was wrong with my driveshaft or rear end cuz I got a terrible vibration. Put the stock one back in & all better again. Them things are just horrible IMO. Theres no way you can like that Would anyone like to buy my prothane trans mount? It has less than 100 miles on it!
Old 08-15-2008, 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put the poly trans mount in (with poly mounts, which are still in the car) and was told without an adjustable T/A that it wouldn't sit the same level as the stock mount, so I'd have to adjust the pinion angle. The noise didn't bother me at all, but it was that over 60mph everything was vibrating terribly. Not like a "I have TDs so I'm going to rattle my fillings loose" vibrating either, but a "this car was aligned by ray charles" type vibrating.

So I went back to a stock mount but the poly one is still sitting on the shelf in my garage.

-J
Old 08-15-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did polly trans and torque arm mount at the same time and i was like WTF!!! asked the question on here and they said give it time to break in and loosen up and it will be smooth again and a few days later smooth as silk
Old 08-15-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I get vibrations too....